Everybody loves privacy and in some cases, it might come down to masking your phone number since it happens to be the first thing nowadays that can be used to identify an individual. Especially if you are reaching out to a stranger, it is quite desirable to hide your phone number.
Let’s say that you see an ad on craigslist and you reach out to the seller. In most of the cases, since the other party is unknown, you might want to hide your identity for a while before meeting them in person.
People also want to avoid telemarketers in most of the cases. However, when you call a business once, for any query, your number is saved and they continue calling you for promotions and other events. In order to avoid it, it is a good idea to mask your number before talking to a business representative.
Previously, it was not quite possible, but now the demand is high and there are several techniques that could be used to hide your phone number.
How To Hide Your Phone Number For A Specific Call?
Well, there are cases where you might not want to share your phone number with a specific person. Fortunately, a solution does exist.
- Open the dialing pad on your phone (the OS does not matter in this case)
- Just before typing the number, press *67 on your dialing pad
- Enter the complete phone number you wish to dial, including the country and area codes
- Initiate the call
Everything will work normally on both ends and the only distinction is that the recipient will see ‘Private’ or ‘Anonymous’ on the screen instead of your name or number. However, it should be noted that this method does not hide your identity while calling 900 or 800 numbers.
Please note that this method is exclusively for North America and if you are in another part of the World, just google the blocking code in your area and follow the steps mentioned above.
In some cases, people block incoming calls from private and anonymous numbers. In that event, your call won’t get through.
Hiding Your Phone Number Permanently
While the above-mentioned method is quite straightforward and popular among many North Americans, it is not the ideal way to hide your number if you want to do it permanently. I mean just imagine you are trying to mask your ID, but forget entering the prefix?
Therefore, in such situations, burner phones offer the best option. No games, no shortcuts! Just dial a number, talk to the recipient and throw your phone away (don’t worry – burners are inexpensive). The other person can neither see your number nor track your call afterward.
Hiding Your Phone Number On Android
Even though adding a 3-digit prefix (*67) is quite easy, some users seek an even friendly approach. Therefore, android devices now come with inbuilt functionality. All you need to do is simply:
- Hit the ‘Phone’ icon, which is usually at the bottom left of your screen
- Now, on the top right corner, click the button with 3 vertical dots just inside the search bar (or beside it)
- A drop-down menu will open and you need to click ‘Settings’
- Hit the ‘Calls’ options
- If your phone gives you a choice between ‘Calls’ and ‘Contacts’, just tap the ‘Calls’ option
- Access additional settings from the given menu
- Click ‘Caller ID’
- Some models might say ‘Show Caller ID’
- A popup will be displayed on the screen – click ‘Hide Number’
Hiding Your Phone Number On iPhone
It’s as easy as masking a phone number on Android, but since the interface is different, we’ll give you a breakdown.
- Click the ‘Settings’ icon on your iPhone’s home screen
- You will be presented with a list view – scroll down and hit ‘Phone’
- Move to the ‘Calls’ section
- Hit ‘Show my Caller ID’
- If the button is white, leave it as it is.
- If the button is green, tap it once to turn off caller ID
- The recipients will be displayed with ‘No Caller ID’ instead of your phone number
Using An App To Hide Your Phone Number
Some people don’t prefer using burners, firstly it may raise suspicion and secondly, they simply do not want to carry multiple phones. In such cases, an application can also be used.
For instance, Hushed allows you to create a secondary phone number for just about $2 and you can keep the number for as long as you want. This is quite a reliable option, particularly if you want to hide your original phone number for a long period. The best perk is that you do not have to carry another device.
What’s worth considering is that you do not have to worry about sending text messages as well. While most of the inbuilt features only hide your phone number while calling, this app can even mask your ID while texting someone.
Moreover, since this secondary number acts just as a regular one, the recipients will be able to call you back. But this call will never be connected to your original number, whatsoever.
If these features do not work on your phone (which is rare) or you simply do not like them, the last resort is to contact your network provider and tell them to offer you the service of hiding your phone number.
Please note that (depending upon the restrictions) this feature is not available in all the countries and some network providers might even charge you a premium for this service.
Want to know how to spoof your phone number instead? Read our other guide here.