Greetings OnePlus enthusiasts! If you’re eager to upgrade your OnePlus phone to the latest and greatest OxygenOS 12, you’ve come to the right place. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus device. OxygenOS 12 brings a plethora of exciting features, performance enhancements, and a refreshed user interface, offering an enhanced mobile experience like never before. Whether you own the latest OnePlus 9 Pro or an older OnePlus model, this guide will provide you with the necessary instructions to seamlessly install OxygenOS 12 and make the most out of your device. So, buckle up and get ready to take your OnePlus phone to the next level!
Inside This Article
- Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
- Step 2: Downloading OxygenOS 12
- Step 3: Transferring the ROM to Your OnePlus Phone
- Step 4: Booting into Recovery Mode
- Step 5: Installing OxygenOS 12
- Step 6: Completing the Installation Process
- Troubleshooting Tips
Installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone can bring a host of exciting features and improvements to your device. Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or simply want to experience the latest advancements in smartphone technology, this guide will walk you through the methods for installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone.
OxygenOS is the operating system developed by OnePlus for their smartphones. It offers a clean and intuitive user interface, optimized performance, and a range of customization options. With each new update, OnePlus introduces new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements, ensuring a better overall user experience.
By following the methods outlined in this guide, you can take advantage of OxygenOS 12’s new features, such as enhanced privacy settings, improved UI design, and updated system apps. Whether you have a OnePlus 9, OnePlus 8, or any other compatible OnePlus device, these methods will help you update your phone to the latest version of OxygenOS.
Before diving into the installation process, it’s important to ensure you meet the prerequisites and have all the necessary files ready. Let’s take a look at what you need to get started.
Before you proceed with installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone, there are a few prerequisites that you need to fulfill. These prerequisites ensure a smooth and successful installation process. Here are the things you need to have:
- A compatible OnePlus phone: OxygenOS 12 is designed for specific OnePlus models. Make sure that your device is in the supported list to ensure compatibility.
- Adequate battery level: It is important to have a sufficient battery charge on your phone to avoid any unexpected shutdowns during the installation process. We recommend having at least 50% battery level before you begin.
- Stable internet connection: Since you will be downloading the OxygenOS 12 update, it is essential to have a stable and reliable internet connection. A Wi-Fi connection is recommended to ensure a fast and uninterrupted download.
- Ample storage space: OxygenOS updates can be large in size, and you need to ensure that your device has enough storage space to accommodate the update. Clear out unnecessary files and apps to free up storage before initiating the installation.
- Data backup: Although the installation process is generally safe, it is always a good practice to backup your important data before making any major changes to your device. This way, you can restore your data in case of any unexpected issues during the installation.
By fulfilling these prerequisites, you will set the stage for a smooth and hassle-free installation of OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Once you have all these requirements in place, you can proceed with one of the methods to install the latest update
Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
Before you start the installation process for OxygenOS 12, it is important to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus phone. The bootloader is a security feature that prevents unauthorized modifications to the operating system. By unlocking it, you gain the ability to install custom ROMs and make system-level changes.
However, please note that unlocking the bootloader will wipe all the data on your device, so it’s crucial to take a backup of your important files and contacts beforehand. Additionally, keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader may void the warranty of your device, so proceed with caution.
Follow the steps below to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus phone:
- Go to the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “About phone.”
- Find the “Build number” and tap on it multiple times until a message appears stating that you are now a developer.
- Go back to the main Settings menu and scroll down to find “Developer options.” Tap on it.
- In the Developer options, find “OEM unlocking” and enable it.
- Connect your OnePlus phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt or terminal window on your computer.
- Enter the following command:
adb devices. This will display a list of connected devices.
- If your device is listed, enter the command:
adb reboot bootloader. This will reboot your device into bootloader mode.
- Once your device is in bootloader mode, enter the command:
fastboot flashing unlock. This will initiate the bootloader unlocking process.
- You will see a confirmation message on your device asking if you want to unlock the bootloader. Use the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select “Yes.”
- After the bootloader is unlocked, your device will reboot automatically.
Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your OnePlus phone. Now you are ready to proceed with the installation of OxygenOS 12 using the methods described in the following steps.
Step 2: Downloading OxygenOS 12
Now that you’re ready to update your OnePlus phone to OxygenOS 12, the next step is to download the software. Follow the instructions below to ensure a smooth and hassle-free download.
1. Open the settings menu on your OnePlus phone. You can do this by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping the gear icon in the top right corner.
2. Scroll down and tap on the “System” option.
3. In the System menu, tap on “System Updates.”
4. Your phone will then check for available updates. If OxygenOS 12 is already available for your device, you will see it listed here. Tap on the “Download and Install” button to start the download.
5. Make sure your phone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network and has sufficient battery life before initiating the download.
6. The download process may take some time, depending on your internet speed. Once the download is complete, your phone will automatically install the update.
7. It is important not to interrupt the download or installation process. Allow your phone to complete the update without turning it off or restarting it.
8. After the installation is complete, your phone will restart, and you will be greeted by the new OxygenOS 12 interface.
That’s it! You have successfully downloaded OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Take some time to explore the new features and improvements that come with this latest update.
Remember, it is always recommended to back up your data before performing any software updates. This ensures that your personal files and settings are safe in case anything goes wrong during the update process.
Step 3: Transferring the ROM to Your OnePlus Phone
Once you have downloaded the OxygenOS 12 ROM file onto your computer, the next step is to transfer it to your OnePlus phone. There are a couple of different methods you can use to accomplish this.
Method 1: USB Cable
The simplest way to transfer the ROM to your phone is by using a USB cable. Connect your OnePlus phone to your computer using the USB cable provided. Once connected, you will see your phone show up as a storage device on your computer.
Open the file explorer on your computer and navigate to the location where you have saved the OxygenOS 12 ROM file. Simply drag and drop the file into the internal storage or any desired folder on your OnePlus phone.
Method 2: Wireless Transfer
If you prefer a wireless method, you can use an app like AirDroid or ShareIt to transfer the ROM file from your computer to your OnePlus phone. These apps allow you to easily transfer files between devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Download and install the file transfer app of your choice on both your computer and OnePlus phone. Follow the app’s instructions to establish a connection between the devices. Once connected, simply select the OxygenOS 12 ROM file on your computer and initiate the transfer to your phone.
Make sure to disconnect your OnePlus phone from your computer once the transfer is complete.
It is important to note that transferring the ROM file to your OnePlus phone may take some time depending on the file size and the transfer method you choose. Ensure that the transfer is fully completed before proceeding to the next step.
Step 4: Booting into Recovery Mode
Booting into recovery mode is a crucial step in the process of installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Recovery mode allows you to perform various system-related tasks such as flashing firmware and clearing cache partitions. Here’s how you can boot into recovery mode:
1. Firstly, power off your OnePlus phone by holding down the power button and selecting “Power Off” from the options that appear.
2. Once the device is powered off, press and hold the volume down button and power button simultaneously.
3. Keep holding both buttons until you see the OnePlus logo on your screen.
4. As soon as the OnePlus logo appears, release both buttons and wait for a few seconds.
5. The device will now boot into recovery mode, and you’ll be presented with the recovery menu on your screen.
It’s important to note that the key combination to boot into recovery mode may vary slightly depending on the model of your OnePlus phone. If the above method doesn’t work for you, you can try searching for the specific key combination for your device model.
You can install OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone with just a few simple steps. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of installing OxygenOS 12 on your device.
Step 5: Installing OxygenOS 12
Now that you have successfully downloaded the OxygenOS 12 update file, it’s time to install it on your OnePlus phone. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the Settings app on your OnePlus phone.
- Scroll down and tap on the System option.
- Tap on System Updates.
- Tap on the gear icon located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the option “Local Upgrade” from the drop-down menu.
- You will see a list of files. Tap on the OxygenOS 12 update file that you downloaded earlier.
- Tap on “Install Now” to start the installation process.
- Wait patiently while the update is being installed. Do not interrupt the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, your OnePlus phone will reboot automatically.
After the reboot, your OnePlus phone will be running on the latest OxygenOS 12. You can now enjoy the new features and improvements that come with this update.
It’s important to note that installing a new operating system update can take some time, so make sure your device has enough battery power and a stable internet connection before starting the installation process.
Additionally, it’s always a good idea to backup your important data before installing any system updates, as there is a slight risk of data loss during the update process.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Stay tuned for more updates and enjoy the enhanced user experience on your device.
Step 6: Completing the Installation Process
Now that you have successfully installed OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone, it is time to complete the installation process. Follow these final steps to ensure a smooth and seamless transition to the latest version of OxygenOS:
1. Reboot Your Device: After the installation is complete, it is recommended to reboot your device. This will help apply any remaining system changes and ensure that OxygenOS 12 is fully activated.
2. Set Up Your Device: Once your device has rebooted, you will be prompted to set up your device. This includes selecting your preferred language, connecting to Wi-Fi, and signing in to your Google account. Make sure to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
3. Restore Your Data: If you had taken a backup of your data before installing OxygenOS 12, you can now restore it. This will bring back your apps, settings, and personal files to their previous state. You can do this by going to the settings menu and selecting the “Backup & Restore” option.
4. Explore and Enjoy OxygenOS 12: Now that your device is up and running with OxygenOS 12, take some time to explore the new features and enhancements. From the revamped user interface to improved performance and additional customization options, OxygenOS 12 brings a host of exciting changes to your OnePlus phone.
5. Troubleshooting: If you encounter any issues or have questions related to the installation process or using OxygenOS 12, refer to the OnePlus support website or community forums. Here you can find helpful resources, guides, and solutions to common problems.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed the installation process of OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Enjoy the enhanced features, improved performance, and a seamless user experience that OxygenOS 12 brings to your device.
If you encounter any issues while installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you overcome any obstacles:
1. Restart your device: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor software glitches. Turn off your phone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
2. Clear cache: Clearing the cache can help resolve compatibility issues and improve system performance. To do this, go to Settings > Storage & memory > Cache data, and tap on “Clear cache”.
3. Check available storage: Make sure you have enough storage space on your device before installing OxygenOS 12. Insufficient storage can cause the installation to fail. Go to Settings > Storage & memory to check the available space.
4. Ensure stable internet connection: A stable and reliable internet connection is crucial for a successful installation. Make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network with a strong signal or use mobile data if necessary.
5. Update Oxygen Updater: If you are using Oxygen Updater to install OxygenOS 12, ensure that you have the latest version of the app. Check the Google Play Store for any available updates.
6. Verify firmware compatibility: Ensure that your device’s firmware is compatible with OxygenOS 12. Check the official OnePlus website or community forums for any announcements or compatibility requirements.
7. Try alternate installation method: If one installation method isn’t working, try using an alternate method. For example, if you were using the Oxygen Updater app, you can try the local upgrade method instead.
8. Factory reset: As a last resort, you can try performing a factory reset on your device. This will erase all data and settings, so make sure to back up your important files before proceeding.
9. Contact OnePlus support: If the troubleshooting tips above didn’t resolve the issue, reach out to OnePlus support for further assistance. They have a dedicated team of experts who can help you with any technical problems.
By following these troubleshooting tips, you should be able to resolve any issues you encounter while installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone. Enjoy the new features and improvements that OxygenOS 12 brings to your device!
Installing OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone is a relatively simple process that can greatly enhance your device’s performance and user experience. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can unlock a whole new level of functionality and features. OxygenOS 12 brings a fresh design, improved security, and exciting features such as enhanced customization options, new gestures, and much more. Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or just looking to optimize your OnePlus phone, installing OxygenOS 12 is definitely worth considering.
Remember to backup your data before proceeding with the installation and follow the instructions carefully to avoid any issues. Once you’ve installed OxygenOS 12, you’ll be able to enjoy a seamless and responsive user interface, along with all the latest updates and improvements from OnePlus. So go ahead, unleash the full potential of your OnePlus phone with OxygenOS 12!
1. Can I install OxygenOS 12 on any OnePlus phone?
Yes, OxygenOS 12 is designed to be compatible with select OnePlus smartphone models. However, not all OnePlus phones will be eligible for the update. Make sure to check if your device is listed as compatible with OxygenOS 12 before attempting the installation.
2. How can I check if my OnePlus phone is eligible for OxygenOS 12?
To determine if your OnePlus phone is eligible for the OxygenOS 12 update, visit the official OnePlus website or navigate to the software update section in your device’s settings. OnePlus usually provides a list of supported devices for each software update, including OxygenOS 12.
3. What are the benefits of installing OxygenOS 12 on my OnePlus phone?
OxygenOS 12 introduces several new features and improvements to enhance the performance and user experience on your OnePlus phone. These may include a new user interface, improved system stability, updated security patches, enhanced battery optimization, and additional customization options. It’s always recommended to keep your device’s software up to date for better functionality and security.
4. Is it necessary to back up my data before installing OxygenOS 12?
While the installation process of OxygenOS 12 generally does not delete any personal data, it is always a good practice to back up important files and data before performing any software update. This precautionary measure ensures that you have a copy of your data in case of any unexpected issues during the installation process.
5. How can I install OxygenOS 12 on my OnePlus phone?
To install OxygenOS 12 on your OnePlus phone, follow these general steps:
- Ensure that your phone has sufficient battery level or connect it to a charger.
- Make sure your phone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network to download the update.
- Go to the settings app on your OnePlus phone.
- Navigate to the “System Updates” or “Software Updates” section.
- Check for any available updates and if OxygenOS 12 is listed, proceed with the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, your phone will reboot with the updated OxygenOS 12.
Please note that these steps may vary slightly depending on the specific OnePlus model and software version.