America is the second-largest country of car owners. About 88% of Americans own cars. And with an average of 6 million car accidents per year, you need something to help you stay safe.
A car phone holder is a nifty accessory to keep your phone in place while driving. Phones are useful for navigation and communication, though they’re not recommended to be used when you’re driving. A car phone holder is a must for safe, hands-free use. Another great thing about a car phone holder is it allows you to charge your phone with a portable charger or a power bank.
So if you’re thinking about buying, here’s a handy guide of everything you need to know about car phone holders.
Best car phone holders on the market
1. WeatherTech CupFone
- It comes with a cup phone base, so you can insert it into your car’s cup holder. It also has removable cups with different sizes, so it can fit any size cup holder.
- Easy to adjust. It has a knob on the back to loosen the grip at your preference, and you can tilt it at any angle.
- Supports only vertical/portrait orientation.
- The bottom is open for easy charging access.
Get this item today and you’ll never worry about your phone while you’re driving.
2. Fastball Magnetic Car Cell Phone Mount
- Because of its design, you can rotate your device at any orientation. This is perfect for apps like Waze or Google maps.
- Compatible with phones and tablets. You can also hook it up to desks and refrigerators for multipurpose use.
- Small and compact design
Get the Fastball Magnetic Car Cellphone Mount on Amazon if you want a phone mount you can use anywhere, any time.
3. iOttie Easy One Touch 4
- Designed to keep your phone intact no matter how bumpy the road
- Can rotate at 360-degree angles
- Bottom footholds can adjust to phone size and has an arm that extends to your preference
- Comes with a pad that has a strong grip to hold your mount in place
- Has a knob you can loosen or tighten to fit your preferred angle
You can get the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 on Amazon to make your commute easier.
4. iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless 2
- Comes with built-in wireless charger compatible with both iOS and Android phones
- Has a lock and release feature to secure your phone
- Has an extendable telescopic arm you can adjust for optimal viewing
- Uses suction you can attach (for one-time use) on either windshield or dashboard
- Double-check to see if your phone supports wireless charging before buying
For on-the-go charging, iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless 2 is your best choice.
5. BesTrix Universal Phone Holder
- Attachable to your car’s CD slot, but may compromise your use of the slot. It shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t use it that much anyway.
- The ball head design allows you to use it at any angle you prefer.
- Has a lock to secure your phone without the use of screws
- Equipped with 3 different styles of rubber pad to fit any kind of CD player
- Is compatible with many smartphone sizes
To keep your phone secure, check out the BesTrix Universal Phone Holder today.
6. Mpow Car Phone Mount
- Equipped with a reusable gel pad that is easy to clean
- Has double-locking levels for either smooth or textured dashboards
- Comes with an arm that can extend up to 5.9 in
- Has a clamp width of 2.2 to 3.9 in
For a sturdy and reliable car mount, buy the Mpow Car Phone Mount on Amazon now.
7. Logitech ZeroTouch
- Completely hands-free use
- Can connect to Amazon Alexa, so it’s voice-activated with the wake word “Alexa”
- Requires data to work
- Only compatible with Android phones running Android Lollipop or higher
Get the Logitech ZeroTouch and you can bop to your commute playlist without lifting a finger.
8. Kenu Airframe Pro
- Different sizes to choose from to fit any device
- Equipped with expandable grip to secure phone
- Allows 360-degree rotation for horizontal and vertical viewing
- Compact and lightweight
- Comes with a push-button clip to slide into vents
For a light and easy-to-use phone holder, buy the Kenu Airframe Pro on Amazon today.
9. Arteck Universal Car Mount
- Attaches using a stick pad, if you prefer that over the standard suction cup.
- You can mount it on various surfaces.
- It is lightweight and easy to apply and use.
- Designed to be durable and withstand the test of time
For a versatile and durable choice, get the Arteck Universal Car Mount on Amazon.
10. Olixar Magnetic Vent Mount
- Comes with an adhesive pad to attach to your phone or phone case so you can stick it
- Works with any type of car vent – horizontal or vertical
- The magnet may look small, but it has an incredible hold on your phone, no matter how big.
Buy the Olixar Magnetic Vent Mount to enjoy a hands-free driving experience.
Where can you buy a car phone holder?
All phone holders listed above are available on Amazon, so you can check it out. You can also find phone holders in auto accessory stores and supermarkets near you.
What is a car phone holder?
A car phone holder is generally composed of a mount and a bracket. The mount could be a magnet, a suction cup, or a clip. You place your phone on the bracket, and it secures the phone in place. Some phone holders use grips to lock it in, while some use magnets to attach the phone to the mount.
It’s important to consider the cost of the phone holders. Don’t opt for a cheaper option, because it might end up compromising the quality of these components. You don’t want a flimsy bracket or mount that will detach in a short amount of time.
How to use a car phone holder
Usage is simple. All you need to do is hook up your phone mount to your preferred location. Some models allow for both dashboard and windshield hook-up. Some have a more limited range, such as those specifically for vents or cupholders. You can choose a specific type of mount depending on your preference and car, but we’ll get into that later.
Other types of phone holders
You can also opt for phone holders for different types of vehicles. There are various kinds of phone holders available such as:
- Motorcycle phone holders
- Bicycle phone holders
- Wearable phone holders
Why do you need a car phone holder?
Car phone holders are very useful for drivers. Here are a few things to consider if you’re getting one.
What are the benefits of a phone holder for your vehicle?
Rather than relying on a map or someone else to read it for you, you can use the apps available on your phone. Useful GPS apps like Waze can help you navigate traffic with ease. With a car phone holder, you can do this even by yourself. Think about that the next time you get lost in a foreign city.
With car mounts keeping your phone in place, you don’t have to reach down and open it. Some car mounts even have completely hands-free features. They can connect to Amazon Alexa for instance, and allow voice-activated commands. You can also call your family or text your boss while driving.
Keeping your phone in place
Investing in a car phone holder can help keep your phone from getting jostled by the car’s movement. If it slid down the seat and fell off, you would have to take your eyes off the road to retrieve it. And this could be very dangerous.
What are the disadvantages of having a car phone holder?
A car mount can be distracting.
Depending on its position, there’s a possibility that a car mount can obstruct your view of the road. Windshield mounts, for example, block out a small part of your windshield. But you can place them at a strategic location so it won’t distract you as much. There are also other alternatives such as air vent holders.
Car phone holders are illegal in some states as of this moment. Out of the 50 states, 23 permit the use of car mounts and GPS navigation. And out of those 23, 8 states are still on the fence about how you use it. Before buying one, it’s best to check out your state laws on car mounts.
Here is a list of states that DON’T allow the use of car mounts:
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What do you need to consider when you buy a car phone holder?
Not all phone holders can support the type of phone you have. There are some that only support Android, or only support iOS. It’s also good to consider whether your phone mount can fit the size of your phone, or can at least adjust to it. Look for secure grips, and arms or magnets that won’t break in a short amount of time.
The car’s interior
Some car mounts may not be compatible with your car’s model. For instance, if your car’s air vents are smaller, then it may not be wise to use a big car phone holder. It may block the flow of the vents. You can opt for a smaller car phone holder or one that has a long arm to keep it out of the ventilation’s way. You may also need to consider the slope of your dashboard, and whether that will distort the angle of the phone.
The installation method of your car phone holder
There are a few different types of car phone holders with different ways to install it. Each has benefits and restrictions, depending on your preference.
Magnetic phone mount
This kind of phone mount is perfect if you want a more minimalist design. It usually comes with a small magnetic clip you can attach to the back of your phone or slip into your phone case. This will allow your phone to fasten to the mount. Some magnetic phone mounts even come with wireless charging.
Suction cup phone mount
These phone holders are attachable to your windshield or dashboard. This is useful for an eye-level view of your phone. The strong grip of the suction cup will ensure that your phone won’t fall off on your lap or the pedals while driving.
Cup holder phone mount
Unlike windshield/dashboard mounts, the cup holder mount is set a little lower. It’ll allow you to have a fuller view of the road. It also won’t distract you too much when there is an incoming notification. It’s easier to charge your phone, too, because you won’t have any wires getting in the way of steering.
Air vent phone mount
If you want a phone mount that’s not too high or low, the air vent phone holder may be the best choice for you. Mounts like these come with clips you can attach to the vents of your car. Though if you also have the heater on, it may affect your phone as well.
Steering wheel phone holder
These are mounts that you can strap to your steering wheel. It’s easy to set up and use, and you don’t have to dart your eyes too far from the road. These holders come with a secure grip so you won’t worry about it sliding down the wheel. Though it only supports landscape orientation. But this shouldn’t be a problem if you only plan to use it for navigation. A good choice if you’re going for a cheaper option.
Your phone’s battery and power source
It’s important to consider your phone’s power source and battery life. Especially because the prolonged use of apps can drain a lot out of your battery. Some car phone holders have built-in charging capabilities, like wireless charging. Other phone holders have slots or spaces allowing you to connect your phone to a power bank. Some don’t have these options altogether. Find out whether your phone is compatible with each of these features.
How to maintain a phone holder after buying it?
Some phone holders, especially suction cup mounts, may get dirty over time. This can affect their stickiness. To clean this, you need to gently rinse the holder with warm water and use a cloth or sponge. Avoid using cleansers because it can degrade the suction cup. You can use a gentle soap instead.
How to fix phone holders
Some phone holders will eventually wear out and won’t hold as well as it used to. But you can try to make it sticky again with a few methods.
For suction cups, there are ways to make it hold up on your windshield and console again. You should try this method at your own risk, and preferably at a safe location. You can watch the video below for instructions.
Other FAQs on car phone holders
Will a magnetic phone holder damage my phone/battery?
No. It’s a common misconception that magnets may damage your phone in some way. But today’s modern technology ensures that this won’t happen. Some smartphones may already have magnets inside of them. Only a strong magnetic field interferes with your phone’s compass. Far bigger than a phone holder’s capacity. And even then it may take a few years to do some damage.
How to make a DIY car phone mount?
If you want to reap the benefits of this product but are on a budget, you can make one for yourself. This can also be useful if you’re going on a trip and plan to rent or borrow a car.
Here is a helpful instructional video to show you how.