Probably one of the best rhythm video games to have ever existed, Just Dance promises to keep everyone moving, grooving, and on their feet. It certainly makes true to its promise when Ubisoft released Just Dance Now — the free game that allows you to use your PC or smart TV as the main console and your smartphone as the Just Dance controller. Of course, there’s Just Dance 2015, which gives players the traditional experience of the app. Furthermore, Just Dance 2015 uses Move, Wiimote or Kinect controls to play the game.
But what if you don’t have motion sensors or your controllers, say for your Switch or Xbox? Can you still play Just Dance? If you are looking for answers, we just have the right guide for you! This article will explore how you can turn your smartphone into a controller for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Google Stadia.
Inside This Article
The first version of Just Dance came out on 17 November 2009 with a concept to help people overcome their inhibitions towards dancing and develop a “vocabulary” of movements. It was, of course, developed by Ubisoft in Paris and Milan with an inspiration lifted from Rayman Raving Rabbids. This version featured music by MC Hammer, Elvis Presley, Iggy Pop, The Beach Boys, Baha Men, Spice Girls, Gorillaz, and others.
Fast forward to October 2011, Just Dance 3 was released. This is the first installment in the series with support for Xbox 360 (with Kinect support) and PlayStation 3 (with PlayStation Move support). Moreover, this version includes over 40 tracks.
However, it was between the release of Just Dance 2014 and Just Dance 2015 when Ubisoft starts to conceive the idea for Just Dance Controller. It’s the app that turns a smartphone into a controller that allows Just Dance to trace a player’s movements. The rest simply became history with additional features, songs, and support for succeeding versions of the Xbox, Playstation, Switch, and PC.
Do you need a special controller for Just Dance? Straight up, yes! However, that depends on which version of the game and console you are using to play the game. According to Ubisoft, the following are the acceptable controller for playing Just Dance on consoles.
With a smartphone, you can play this game with ease on Switch, PSA, Stadia, and Xbox One. Below are the ways you can turn your Android or iOS smartphone into a Just Dance app controller.
To start playing the game with your friends by using the special controller or the Controller app on your smartphone, here’s what you need to do:
- Launch the Just Dance app on the console.
- On the controller selection screen, choose the controllers or camera you want to use.
Please be aware that you cannot mix different controller types, e.g. smart devices and console controllers.
- Using your controller, follow the on-screen instructions to join the lobby.
Switch controllers are expensive. While they are needed to play other Switch games, you can definitely switch them for your smartphone any time when playing Just Dance. Here’s how to connect the Controller app on Switch to play:
- Launch the Just Dance app on your Switch console.
- Choose Mobile Device as your controller option on the controller section screen.
- The screen will display a three-step instruction to connect your smartphone to the Switch via the Just Dance Controller app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions then start playing.
Bear in mind that six Joy-Con controllers or six smart devices can join a single game session on Switch. Furthermore, it is imperative that, for all the walkthroughs on any of the gaming consoles, your devices must be connected to one single WiFi network. Otherwise, the connection will not push through.
The process in the Xbox One follows the process outlined above for Switch and PlayStation.
- Download the Controller app to your smartphone.
- Launch the Just Dance app on your Xbox One then select Mobile Device as your controller option.
- Follow the on-screen instruction including scanning a QR code to join your dance room.
- Start playing the game.
Turning your smartphone into a controller for Just Dance is pretty straightforward for gaming consoles. However, the Controller app only supports Just Dance 16 up to Just Dance 2022. So, how about if you are using your PC to play the game?
Just Dance Now is a spin-off of the original game for PC and Mac. It is still a multiplayer rhythm game and has an extensive library of music and dance vocabulary that you with your friends or family will surely enjoy!
Here’s how to turn your smartphone into a Just Dance controller for PC or Mac.
For those using Windows PC, here’s the walkthrough of how to play the game:
- Download the Just Dance Now app on your mobile device from Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Launch your internet browser on your computer and go to Just Dance Now website.
- You will have to scan the unique QR code found on the upper left-hand corner of the screen using the app on your mobile device.
- Done! The game will connect to your Dance Room.
It’s a little straightforward to start using your smartphone as a controller on Mac since there is a dedicated app available.
- Download the Just Dance Now app on your mobile device from Apple App Store.
- Download the same app to your Mac then launch the app,
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen, you should be able to see the unique QR code for your dance room.
- Simply scan the code using the app on your mobile device then the game will connect.
We might have missed anything while outlining these walkthroughs and we want to clarify those in the following sections. However, there are also things we wish to stress before ending this comprehensible and informative guide.
Do You Need Kinect to Play Just Dance on Nintendo Switch?
The answer is no. Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons have built-in motion sensors which allow for games like Just Dance to trace a player’s movements when holding the Joy-Cons while playing. So, for example, to be able to play Just Dance 2021 for the Nintendo Switch, you do not need to use the Xbox Kinect Sensor Bar to play.
What Controller Do You Need for Just Dance?
Each gaming console we have outlined in this article and are available for sale in the market today has its own dedicated controllers for games. But it is also great to see how developers are acknowledging the power of handheld devices and using them as an alternative to controllers like Joy-Cons and the Xbox Kinect. We have outlined the controllers needed to play Just Dance in our How to Connect Just Dance Controller App section.
Can You Use Your Phone as a Controller for Just Dance?
Very much so, yes! This is why we came up with this very article. However, there are consoles that have yet to follow the lead. Such is the case for Wii which insist on only using the Wii Remote as its base controller. But who knows, we might be able to use our smartphones on the Wii gaming console soon.