Accidents happen, and unfortunately, dropping your iPhone is one of them. It can be quite disheartening to see lines, cracks, or other screen issues as a result of impact. But before you panic and rush to get your screen fixed, there are a few simple steps you can take to potentially resolve the problem on your own.
In this article, we’ll explore some troubleshooting tips and tricks to fix your iPhone screen when it has lines after a drop. Whether you have an iPhone 6, iPhone 11, or any other model, these solutions may help you avoid an expensive repair or replacement. So, let’s dive in and try the following methods first before seeking professional assistance!
Inside This Article
- Common Causes of Screen Lines after Dropping an iPhone
- Steps to Troubleshoot Screen Lines on a Dropped iPhone
- Fixing Screen Lines by Restarting the iPhone
- Resolving Screen Line Issues through a Forced Restart
Common Causes of Screen Lines after Dropping an iPhone
Seeing lines on the screen of your iPhone after dropping it can be quite alarming. While every situation may be different, there are some common causes for this issue. Understanding these causes can help you troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem.
1. Physical damage: When you drop your iPhone, the impact can cause physical damage to the screen or internal components. This damage can result in the appearance of lines on the screen.
2. Loose or disconnected display cables: The impact from the drop can cause the display cables inside your iPhone to become loose or disconnected. When this happens, it can lead to screen lines or other display issues.
3. Screen digitizer malfunction: The screen digitizer is responsible for translating touch inputs into actions on the screen. A drop can cause this digitizer to malfunction, resulting in distorted or lined display output.
4. Faulty display driver: The display driver is the component that controls the display’s output. In some cases, a drop can cause damage to the display driver, leading to screen lines or other visual aberrations.
5. Software glitches: Though less common, software glitches can also cause lines to appear on the iPhone’s screen after a drop. These glitches can be a result of the impact affecting the software functionality.
It’s important to note that these are just potential causes and it’s recommended to seek professional assistance if you’re unsure about the exact issue.
Steps to Troubleshoot Screen Lines on a Dropped iPhone
Dropping your iPhone can often lead to screen display issues, such as lines appearing on the screen. However, before rushing to a repair shop or considering a costly replacement, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to fix this problem. Follow these steps to troubleshoot screen lines on your dropped iPhone:
- Inspect the exterior: Start by carefully examining the exterior of your iPhone for any visible signs of damage. Look for cracks, dents, or any other physical damage that might have caused the screen lines. If you notice any, it’s likely that the issue is due to a damaged display, and professional repair may be required.
- Restart your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor software glitches that cause screen display issues. Press and hold the power button until the “Slide to power off” option appears. Slide the bar to power off your device, then press and hold the power button again to turn it back on. Check if the screen lines have disappeared after the restart.
- Check for software updates: Outdated software can also lead to display problems. Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update. If an update is available, download and install it on your device. Restart your iPhone again and check if the screen lines have been resolved.
- Reset all settings: Resetting your iPhone’s settings can sometimes fix display issues caused by software conflicts. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Keep in mind that this action will erase your customized settings but will not delete any data or media from your device.
- Perform a factory reset: If the screen lines persist, you can try performing a factory reset. Before proceeding, make sure to back up your important data as this process will erase all content and settings on your device. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset, and then check if the screen lines issue has been resolved.
If these troubleshooting steps do not resolve the screen lines on your dropped iPhone, it is advisable to seek professional assistance. Contact an authorized service center or schedule an appointment with an Apple Genius at an Apple Store to diagnose and repair the issue.
Remember to handle your iPhone with care to prevent future drops and screen display problems. Consider using a protective case and screen protector to minimize the risk of damage.
Fixing Screen Lines by Restarting the iPhone
One of the first troubleshooting steps you can take to fix screen lines on your iPhone after dropping it is to restart the device. Restarting the iPhone helps in resetting the software and can often resolve minor software glitches that may be causing the screen lines.
To restart your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button on your iPhone until the slider appears on the screen.
- Slide the power off slider to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait for a few seconds, then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Release the power button and allow your iPhone to boot up.
After the restart, check if the screen lines have disappeared. In many cases, a simple restart can fix the issue. However, if the screen lines persist, you may need to try other troubleshooting steps.
It is important to note that restarting your iPhone will not cause any data loss, as it only refreshes the software. So, feel free to try this step and see if it resolves the screen line issue on your dropped iPhone.
Resolving Screen Line Issues through a Forced Restart
If you have tried restarting your iPhone normally and still see screen lines after dropping it, you may need to perform a forced restart. This method can help resolve software glitches that might be causing the issue.
To perform a forced restart on different iPhone models, follow these steps:
For iPhone 6s and earlier models:
Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
Continue holding both buttons until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus:
Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button simultaneously.
Keep holding both buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
For iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, and XS Max:
Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
Press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
For iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max:
Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Performing a forced restart will not erase any data on your iPhone. It simply forces the device to restart and clears out any temporary software glitches that might be affecting the display.
After the forced restart, check if the screen lines are still present. If the issue persists, proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
Accidents happen, and dropping your iPhone can be a heart-stopping moment. If you find your screen has lines after a drop, it’s important not to panic. In many cases, the issue can be resolved without the need for costly repairs or replacements.
By following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, you can try to fix the problem yourself. From ensuring a secure connection to resetting your device, these methods can effectively eliminate the lines on your iPhone screen. However, if none of these steps work, it may be time to seek professional assistance.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure. Investing in a protective case, screen protector, and handling your iPhone with care can significantly reduce the risk of screen damage. And in the event of a drop, following the steps mentioned above can increase the chances of a successful resolution.
So, if you ever find yourself with lines on your iPhone screen after a drop, don’t worry. Take a deep breath, remain calm, and try these troubleshooting steps first. Good luck!
1. How can I fix the lines on my iPhone screen after dropping it?
If your iPhone screen has lines after dropping it, the first thing you should try is a simple restart. Press and hold the power button until the “slide to power off” slider appears. Slide it to turn off your iPhone, then press and hold the power button again to turn it back on. In many cases, this will resolve the issue.
2. What should I do if restarting my iPhone didn’t fix the lines on the screen?
If a restart didn’t resolve the issue, your next step would be to perform a hard reset. On an iPhone 6s or earlier, press and hold both the home button and power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. On iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, press and hold the volume down button and power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. For iPhone 8 and later models, quick-press the volume up button, then quick-press the volume down button, and press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears. The hard reset can often fix display issues caused by a drop.
3. Can I fix the lines on my iPhone screen without professional help?
In some cases, you may be able to fix the lines on your iPhone screen without professional help. Restarting or performing a hard reset can often resolve minor display issues. However, if the lines persist or worsen, it is recommended to seek assistance from an authorized Apple service provider or contact Apple support.
4. Are the lines on my iPhone screen a sign of permanent damage?
The presence of lines on your iPhone screen after dropping it does not necessarily indicate permanent damage. In many cases, these lines are caused by a loose connection or temporary display issue. By restarting or performing a hard reset, you may be able to resolve the problem. However, if the lines persist even after trying these steps, it is advisable to seek professional assistance.
5. How much does it cost to repair a cracked iPhone screen with lines?
The cost of repairing a cracked iPhone screen with lines can vary depending on the model of your iPhone and the severity of the damage. If your iPhone is still under warranty, you may be eligible for a free or discounted repair. If not, the cost of the repair can range from around $100 to $300, depending on the specific model and the repair provider. It is recommended to contact Apple or an authorized service provider to get an accurate estimate for your particular case.