If you love re-watching an old blockbuster film, or you are into original TV shows and series, the streaming scheme is right for you. Streaming movies is undeniably popular these days. People are so inclined to this type of entertainment. All you need is a stable internet connection, a compatible device, and a little bit of cash.
The three biggest names in the streaming scene are Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. All these include a paid subscription before you can enjoy its perks. However, there is a network that combines the best of both streaming and rental services – Vudu. It has factors that are not found in other networks.
Vudu best suits those who are both infrequent and binge-type of watchers. When you love watching movies so much but you do not have all the time in the world, Vudu is the right network for you. You have full control and freedom for the movies and shows you love. Other than allowing you to pick content, you are also not pressured to pay for something that you will not watch.
What is Vudu?
Unlike the usual streaming providers, Vudu does not require you to pay for a subscription. Users are allowed to purchase individual TV shows and movies of their interest. It is as basic as paying for what you want to watch and no more. This setup is helpful to those who only prefer watching the latest and specific films. But, they do not want to have access to the extra factors that come along with it. It is as if you are purchasing and enjoying full digital rights of specific content. May it be a movie, TV show, episode, or documentary. This is opposed to Netflix and Hulu because they decide on the availability, genre, time, and ways to access the content. To fully understand the comparison between popular streaming services, read our article discussing the top movie apps.
However, Vudu is geo-restricted and is only available in the USA and its territories. It is blocked and inaccessible in countries like Africa, Asia, Central and South America, and Europe. More countries that have prohibited Vudu are Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, and New Zealand.
Probably the biggest flex of this streaming network is that it houses big movies before it is even released to the public eye. Some of the most popular films and shows in Vudu are Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels, Unfinished Business, and more. Vudu offers and presents movies in different video qualities. You can choose from standard definition (SD), high definition (HD), or HDX that is similar to Blu-ray. 99% of the movie titles you search for are guaranteed available in its library. Some people consider Vudu as more of a digital retailer rather than a streaming network. This is because you can purchase movies before the street release date. Not to mention that you do not pay for an account but a specific film.
Vudu lets its users binge-watch their favorite movies anytime and anywhere. Since it is free, you can easily visit the website and start looking for movies. On its homepage, there are slide panels that show all other movie titles in any category you are looking for. For each row, there are movie posters categorized as “Deals of the Week”, “Featured Rentals”, and “Featured Seasons”. There are also sections about Independent films, recent releases, and those movies that are in theaters (films before DVD). Vudu also has panels for a specific artist and there you can see her/his blockbuster films. This way, you can search for the artist’s name.
Vudu has a catalog of media content where you can watch thousands of free movies. Not to mention that there are only limited commercials. The entire movie library allows you to browse your Blu-ray or DVD from the app. You can also discover about a thousand titles. Specifically, it includes 5,000 TV shows and 18,000 movies. With Vudu, you can download movies and TV shows to your phone, tablet, and other compatible devices.
You have 3 different options as to how you can get and enjoy film content from Vudu and its store. It can either be for free, for rent, or sale. The prices are flexible for both rent and purchase. When you rent a title, you can choose the quality of your video. The price range for title rents varies on the video definition. For paid content, you pay for a rental charge for each movie you’d like to watch. The prices depend on the movie or TV show.
Moreover, Vudu allows you to redeem digital copies of the movies you watch. You can directly add them to your movies list at the library. You can redeem a movie for free and then receive the same benefits when purchasing a title from Vudu.
How to create an account
- Create an account by going to the Vudu website.
- Click “Sign In” at the upper right of the screen. Select “Create an account”.
- Type your details: first and last name, email address, and password.
- Check the box for Terms and Privacy. Click “Sign Up”.
- You can also sign up using your Facebook or Walmart account.
- Once done, sign in your account on your mobile device by downloading the Vudu app.
Vudu does not strictly require a subscription for you to access different films. You can browse various content for free or pay if you want to rent or purchase something. The contents vary in two types: free and paid.
The basic movie rental for catalog titles costs from $0.99 to $5.99. Usually, the price of the rental depends on the video quality. Expect that UHD content and new releases are more expensive. Moreover, movies that are still actively being shown in theaters may cost up to $9.99. Note that TV shows could not be rented on Vudu.
When it comes to the actual purchasing of films, the costs are flexible depending on the type of content. A whole TV show season costs $6.99. Every single episode of a season costs between $1.99 and $2.99. Full seasons range from $14.99 to $45.99. The rate of movies depends on the film’s video quality and if it is newly released. Their cost runs $4.99 to $24.99.
How to watch Movies Using the Vudu App
- Open and launch the Vudu app on your preferred device.
- Go the home page to browse movies. Choose from trending movies, top picks, free episodes, and popular rentals.
- If you choose to watch a free film, just click on the movie cover and it will play automatically.
- If you want to rent or purchase a film, tap on the corresponding tab and amount of film.
- Fill out the payment details to finish the transaction.
How to Download & Install the Vudu Mobile App
The Vudu mobile app is compatible with other consumer electronic devices and other platforms. It is accessible on PCs, gaming consoles, Smart TVs, and both Android and iOS powered gadgets.
- On your Android device, navigate the Google Play Store.
- Search for the Vudu app and install it.
- Set up or Sign In to your Vudu account by following the on-screen instructions.
- Browse through the Vudu app and choose from the titles whatever you want to rent or purchase.
- On your iOS device, navigate the App Store.
- Search and install the Vudu app.
- Sign up or Sign in using your Vudu account details.
- After setting up, browse, and look for movies of your interest.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a portable device that carries all your Amazon content in one go. Your Fire Stick is automatically pre-registered if you are an Amazon Prime member. It contains all the movies, apps, music, and photos you purchased through your Amazon account. You can also access different programs such as apps and games.
- From the main menu of the Fire Stick Home, click “Settings”.
- Select “My Fire TV”
- Open the “Developer Options” section, look for and activate the “Apps from Unknown Source” Feature.
- Return to the Fire Stick Home screen and hover over the Search icon from the top menu.
- Type, search, and click “Downloader”. Since the Vudu App is unavailable using Amazon, you need the Downloader to side-load the application.
- Click and open the “Downloader” app.
- Paste the URL http://bit.ly/fire-tv-vudu. Click Go.
- Scroll down and press on the “Vudu for Fire TV” feature.
- Tap on “Download Installation File” tab.
- Once the download process is done, click “Install” then “Done”.
- Press the “Home” button on your remote. Go to Settings, and click “Applications”.
- Select “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Find and launch the Vudu application on the list.
- The Vudu app will open in a short while.
- Sign up for the app if you do not have an account yet.
- Start browsing movies and TV shows.
What Are the Features of the Vudu App?
The media content is organized. The Vudu app has separate categories for each kind of content you like. You can choose from cartoons, documentaries, kids, movies, music, and TV shows. Also, there is a tab where you can view movies alphabetically. You can see the release and available purchase date for each movie.
There is a detailed description of each movie. When you select a movie, there is a short one-liner synopsis about its plot. The names of the main cast and crew are written below the movie poster.
It is available for different devices. One of Vudu’s largest selling factor is the number of devices you can use to watch content. Vudu is most convenient in mobile phones. Users can watch movies and shows wherever and whenever. It is also available in streaming services that Vudu supports such as Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, and Tivo. Vudu offers services in gaming consoles but is limited in Xbox and PlayStation. You can watch through the Vudu network on chosen Smart TV models such as Samsung, Vizio, and LG Smart.
It offers various screening selections. Rest assured that the films on the Vudu app are available in high-definition. This includes 1080p, 4K, HDX, and Ultra HD. Users are allowed to adjust the video quality depending on the speed of your internet.
With its most recent updates, there are exclusive additional extras in the app. There are also new features that come with your Universal movie purchase. The Vudu app updates regularly with general bug fixes to help improve its overall performance.
Compare the Vudu App to other streaming App
Aside from being founded earlier than Vudu, Netflix is undeniably the most popular streaming app there is. Compared to the Vudu app, it is cheaper and offers more options. It only costs $12 to stream using 4 screens, while it takes $43.99 in Vudu to buy an entire season. Vudu offers a more high-definition video quality than Netflix. However, Netflix has a bigger library size with about 100,000 movies and TV shows while Vudu only has around 20,000. Both apps are compatible with other devices.
Hulu is also a subscription streaming app that costs $7.99. It isn’t as big as Netflix but it is popular for releasing extraordinary films. Unlike the Vudu app, Hulu produces paid original titles. These are included upon subscriptions.
Starz is an app with its own cost, shows, and benefits. A common factor between Vudu and Starz is that they are both unavailable outside US territories. Maybe not entirely, but only people from selected countries and regions can create an account and subscribe. These two have a wide media library and options with the most popular in classic films. Vudu is better than Starz when it comes to the availability of devices.
Pros and Cons of Using the Vudu App
- Pay for what you watch basis by choosing and purchasing movies individually
- No monthly or annual subscription
- Let users download content
- Great catalog of shows and movies
- The Vudu app is now available for Android devices
- It can be quite expensive considering the price of a single episode/movie compared to other streaming services’ monthly subscription.
- The Vudu app does not permit iOS devices for rental and sale of movies. This is due to Apple’s restrictive in-app purchase policies.
- Not available outside US territories