Fortnite is a game that’s well-loved among gamers for its exciting gameplay and thrilling battle modes. Best known for its varied game modes, Fortnite has been able to gain a following from different types of gamers. From mobile gamers to console gamers, it has managed to capture their interest and has even allowed them to play with players across the world. Because of the Fortnite cross-platform ability, players can easily squad up with their friends regardless of what platform they use to play the game.
Cross-platform is a love and hate for Fortnite, or in any similar game, as it might potentially put other players at a disadvantage. Regardless, it’s a helpful tactic if you want to rank up together with friends. In this article, you’ll learn how to squad up with your friends on various devices with Fortnite cross-platform.
What Is Fortnite Cross-Platform Play?
Fortnite cross-platform allows players of Fortnite and Fortnite Battle Royale to play together regardless of what platform they are on. As long as you have access to Fortnite and an Epic Games account, you will be able to match and play with your friends even if you’re playing the game on different consoles.
You might be playing the game on mobile, but you’ll be able to play with your friends who play the game on PC, Switch, Xbox, or PlayStation. Fortnite cross-platform allows groups to not only bond over the game but also help each other to win against other groups.
It’s a great way to strategize and it makes the game more fun if you’re able to play with people that you know.
How to Enable Fortnite Cross-Platform Function
First and foremost, regardless of what platform you are on, you will need an Epic Games account. You will need the account to be able to match with other players who are playing on different consoles.
Note that you will not be able to access cross-platform play without an Epic Games account. You can easily create an account through the Epic Games website. You can opt to sign up with your email address, social media accounts, and gaming accounts from Xbox Live, Nintendo, and PlayStation among others. Apart from enabling the Fortnite cross-platform, an Epic Games account also allows you to track your in-game progress and other achievements in one convenient place.
The next thing to do is to make sure that your friends on other platforms are your friends. You can easily add them directly through the game if you’re playing on your mobile phone or a console. PC players, on the other hand, will have to launch the Epic Games Launcher to add friends.
Once those two things are settled, it’s time to learn how to squad up on various devices for a more exciting gaming experience.
While Fortnite isn’t exactly available on the Play Store and App Store, mobile players can still download the game from Epic Store. Those on mobile won’t be left out of the fun as they can access the Fortnite cross-platform with an exception for those using Fortnite APKs from unofficial sources.
- To enable cross-platform play on mobile, simply follow the steps below:
- Link or merge your account with an Epic Games account.
- Add your friends by entering their in-game name or their IDs. Note that you will have to use their Epic Games credentials to be able to add them to your friend list.
- Once they’ve accepted your request, they’ll show up on your friend’s menu and you can play with them.
Since Fortnite Mobile follows a battle royale format, it’s relatively easier to play cross-platform on it as the game primarily relies on cooperative battles.
Fortnite cross-platform play is relatively easy to do on PC. Compared to other platforms or consoles, there are only a couple of steps that you need to follow to be able to enable cross-platform play on PC.
- Launch the Epic Games Launcher and sign in with your Epic Games account.
- Once on your game, you’ll be able to automatically pair with other players who are on mobile, PlayStation, or Xbox. All you have to do is to launch your Battle Royale game.
Note that, once you’re in a cross-platform party, the Squad Fill option is disabled. The Squad Fill option is used to fill your party with players on the same system. This option allows PC players to opt out of joining a cross-platform party.
Playing Fortnite cross-platform can get a little bit tricky with Xbox. Depending on the platform that you’re on, you’ll have to follow different steps to be able to play with your friends on Xbox.
If you’re the one playing on an Xbox console and want to join a party play with your friends on different platforms, follow these steps:
- Have an Xbox Live account that’s linked to your Epic Games account.
- Add your friends as Epic Games friends through the main menu of the game.
- Choose between Public or Friends in your privacy settings.
- Select Duos or Squad mode and wait for your friends to join your party.
If you want to play with your friend who plays on an Xbox, you’ll want to follow these:
- Create or merge your account with your Epic Games account.
- Add your friends through the main menu of the game.
- Wait for your friend on the Xbox console to set their privacy settings.
- Join your friend’s game lobby.
On Nintendo Switch
If you have a Nintendo Switch, you will only be able to squad up with players on PC, Xbox One, mobile, and PS4. To do so, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Link or merge your Nintendo account and Epic Games account together. As mentioned, it’s a crucial step to be able to play Fortnite cross-platform.
- Add your squad as an Epic Games friend. On Switch, you can do so by hitting the “+” button on your controller and navigating through the Epic Friends menu that will pop up.
- Once your squad is complete, you can choose to set your Fortnite privacy settings to Public or Friends.
- Choose between Duos or Squad Mode.
- Wait for your friend to join you in the game lobby.
For PlayStation players, here’s what you need to do to be able to play Fortnite cross-platform:
- Have your PlayStation account linked or merged to your Epic Games account.
- Add your friends as Epic Games friends on the main menu of the game. You can easily do this by pressing the “Options” button on your controller and navigating through the menu that pops up.
- Have your privacy settings set to Public or Friends.
- Choose between Duo or Squad mode.
- Wait for your cross-platform friends to join your party.
As long as your friends have Epic Games accounts and they aren’t playing on Solo mode, you will be able to play with them regardless of platform.
Pros and Cons of Playing Fortnite Cross-Platform
Like other cross-platform games, playing Fortnite cross-platform isn’t always perfect. In fact, with the game’s skill-based matching system, many players have expressed their dislike towards the new game implementation. If you’re playing with your friends, matching shouldn’t be a problem; however, if you’re playing alone and you get matched with players who are playing on various consoles, there could be problems.
That said, here are a couple of pros and cons that you should keep in mind while playing Fortnite cross-platform.
- New and varied player experience
- Build stronger squads with friends
- Connects players
- Match with similarly skilled players
- Longer queue times
- “Forced” cross-platform play
- Skill-based matching
- Gameplay varying among consoles
- Certain restrictions, depending on the platforms involved
How to Disable Fortnite Cross-Platform
As playing cross-platform on Fortnite can prove to be a challenge to its players, many often choose to opt out of it. Since the implementation of the skill-based cross-platform play on Fortnite, many players saw it necessary to find a way to disable or adjust their settings so that they’ll only be able to play with people on the same platform.
Unfortunately, you cannot adjust matchmaking settings on the platforms. If you’re playing with your friends, this matters less as you can help each other throughout the entire game. However, if you’re playing solo, playing cross-platform can prove to be a challenge.
That said, you can easily disable the Fortnite cross-platform through your respective console’s game settings. Alternatively, playing on the solo mode will also automatically disable cross-platform play and will only match you with players on the same platform that you play on.
While this will disable cross-platform play, it won’t disable the skill-based matching system that’s implemented in the game. However, it will be easier to play with players who play on the same platform as you don’t have to worry about lagging behind them if your console encounters problems.
In all, the Fortnite cross-platform function is a great way to bring together groups of friends to play for hours on end. This way, you don’t have to worry about missing out on games with your squad regardless of what platform you’re on. However, do keep in mind that since you’re playing on different platforms, gaming experiences per player can vary. Whether you’re playing with your friends or flying solo, you might want to get your hands on great Fortnite guns to help you win as many battles as you can.