Snapchat is among the top-of-mind choices when it comes to social media apps. However, the issue where Snapchat keeps crashing occurs at times, and many of the app’s features are no longer unique. So, it’s no surprise if you’re looking for apps like Snapchat to use as a temporary or permanent substitute. If you’re on the hunt for an alternative, you will definitely need this handy list.
Inside This Article
- Why Use or Replace Snapchat?
- Top 9 Apps Like Snapchat
But first, let’s tackle quickly the exact reasons why some people stick to or stop using Snapchat anymore. This will help you make a wise decision on whether you’ll switch to a new app or not.
As mentioned, Snapchat had a major advantage over other apps — thanks to its unique features during its early phases. The app is what popularized self-destructing messages and posts. Remember the Instagram Stories you see everywhere? The feature was inspired clearly by Snapchat. Also, Snapchat is where face filters started to go viral. Moreover, it’s an all-in-one messaging app.
Since its glory days, other apps like Snapchat adopted the said features to boost their popularity. As a result, downloading Snapchat isn’t necessary if you only want to get a taste of what it offers. You can pick a different app that has copied (or even improved) those features and you’re all set. Also, Snapchat has its fair share of cons to go along with its pros. That is why some users, like yourself, opt to use another app that delivers what is lacking from Snapchat or ultimately switches to an entirely new one. To get a clearer picture regarding that, refer to this:
- Features many creative filters
- Supports augmented reality (AR) features
- Has a spontaneous and authentic feel
- Identity on the platform isn’t tied to your past
- Is an all-in-one instant messaging and social media app
- Many of its features are now available in other apps
- No sharing of Snapchat content outside the platform
- Limits videos to 60 seconds
- All of your content disappears
- Advertising is expensive
- Lacks in-depth or advanced analytics tools for content creators
- It allowing screenshots (although with alerts) makes privacy difficult
Ready to explore other options to use alongside or replace Snapchat? If yes, read on.
Here are the most impressive apps like Snapchat to try on your smartphones today.
- Overlays nice filters and effects
- Supports adding music to content through its library
- No instant messaging and content sharing features
- Encourages facial and body proportion editing, which might be bad for mental health
One of the best apps with filters like Snapchat is B612. It has everything that can digitally enhance and sculpt your face and body, turning bland selfies or full-body snapshots into works of art. Over 1,500 unique stickers are on the app; therefore, you can go crazy with all the effects.
Moreover, it supports facial recognition features that can identify your attributes fast. This means the app can easily manipulate your face and add other filters. It even puts AR makeup on your face if you want to.
Unfortunately, B612 isn’t the perfect replacement for Snapchat. That’s because the free app is only good for photos and videos – more specifically, selfies and portraits. It can create your content, but by no means does it function as a social media app. You’ll just have to share what you make on it via other apps like Snapchat.
- Has 24-hour live-streaming capabilities (particularly for gaming)
- Doubles as a chat app
- Good for aspiring influencers
- Doesn’t support self-destructing content
- No filters
Next on our list of best apps like Snapchat is Bigo Live. It has over 400 million users to date and is one of the best 24-hour live-streaming apps available. You can share any hobby, talent, or moment you want through the app. Whether you’re an influencer, gamer, or just an average person, you shouldn’t miss out on the app’s wonderful features.
Bigo Live supports live-streaming, as well as video and voice chat so you can enjoy public and private content. As regards live-streaming, the app has a good focus on online games. Through it, you can stream games like PUBG, Fortnite, League of Legends, and more without professional gear. The only downside is that Bigo Live doesn’t have filters or self-destructing messages other apps like Snapchat have. Still, it’s a good alternative.
- Supports private rooms for social interaction
- Has an easy-to-navigate interface almost similar to Instagram
- Allows unlimited album creation
- Is cross-platform (Windows, Android, iOS)
- Is only invite-based
- Not great for marketing or business
- Bad for building a following
Apps like Snapchat aren’t always those that focus on disappearing messages or wacky filters. Some of them simply fill the need for online interaction. Cluster is one of those, and it’s great if you love sharing your life with close friends.
Cluster’s core feature is the creation of private spaces limited to your friends and family. Through it, you can share photos and memories with people you love. The clusters accept only users you invite, so you’re sure what you share is safe.
Of course, that means the free app isn’t ideal for folks who just want to become influencers or businessmen through social media. Nonetheless, it’s great for intimacy if that’s your cup of tea.
- Great for sharing public or private content
- Good for marketing, business, and becoming an influencer
- Its Reels and Stories add variety to posts
- Has decent analytics tools
- Incorporates text messaging
- Has decent filters and editing features
- Poor privacy features
- Its latest algorithm isn’t friendly to new content creators
In the mainstream category, the best Snapchat-like platform is the Instagram app. It has most of the features you love about Snapchat, including disappearing content in the form of Instagram Stories. Also, it now rivals TikTok because of its Reels. Instagram also adopts an instant messaging feature linked to Facebook Messenger, allowing for great continuity across apps.
What’s also great about Instagram is that it has a wide reach. Hence, it has huge potential for aspiring influencers and small businesses compared to other apps like Snapchat. It also provides a pretty robust analytics tool that helps you curate your content for your target audience. So, if you still don’t have Instagram, install it now.
- Doesn’t give out your information for advertisement revenue
- Allows sending and watching of video messages anytime
- Includes video calls
- Has great filters and effects for calls
- No advertisements disrupting the experience
- Has a small pool of users
- A few features need a subscription
- Ineffective for marketing, promotion, or business
Marco Polo is one of the apps like Snapchat you can download if you want something more privacy-centric. That’s because, unlike most apps, it doesn’t give away user information to generate ads. In fact, the app doesn’t even have ads. Thus, it’s one of the best social apps to download if all the bigger apps seem too controversial, security-wise.
Apart from that, it’s also a great all-around platform for sending and making video calls. You can call friends and family anytime. Alternatively, you can also send video messages that your connections can view at a later time. With Marco Polo, you can manage your schedule for online socialization better than before.
Additionally, Marco Polo offers great filters and effects you’ll normally find on Snapchat or other similar apps. Using those features, you can send and receive quirky and fun videos with a personal touch. The only con is that some of the more advanced features are locked behind a paywall. Moreover, it’s not exactly the best app to use if you need to build a large following. Nonetheless, Marco Polo is still a hidden gem you’ll appreciate.
- Has a big user base
- Can be used for chats, video, and voice calls
- Includes face filters, AR masks, and effects
- Facebook Stories is reminiscent of Snapchat’s 24-hour disappearing content
- Does not require a Facebook account
- Can be buggy at times
- Call quality isn’t the best
- Consumes a lot of RAM
- Not great on its own for influencers or marketers
If you’re searching for the best apps like Snapchat for kids (and for everyone else), Meta Platform’s (formerly Facebook) Messenger is the app to pick. Through it, you get most of the features you loved on Snapchat. It has disappearing content courtesy of Facebook Stories, masks, filters, and effects available for use.
Apart from those, Messenger has tons of communication features that trump other apps. Among those are convenient chats, video, and voice calls. The chats let you add message reactions, themes, GIFs, stickers, and polls. Best of all, Messenger doesn’t even require a Facebook account. That makes it a great app for kids, especially if you don’t want them to have a social media account yet.
Unfortunately, Messenger isn’t perfect. For example, it’s not the best standalone app if you’re looking to expand your reach as an influencer or marketer. Furthermore, the app can be buggy at times and doesn’t send or receive messages quickly. It also eats up too much RAM, so it’s not ideal for low-end phones. Nonetheless, Messenger is one of the must-have social media apps if you want to stay connected.
- Features great beauty filters
- Supports seamless body and facial warp and editing features
- Its makeup overlay is realistic
- Doubles as a video editing tool
- Not a social media app
- Can’t be used for instant messaging
Snow is also on our list of the best filter apps like Snapchat. You can use it to snap various media and edit those on the spot.
Snow goes beyond regular filters that add vignettes or AR cat ears to your portrait. It can overlay realistic makeup on your face no matter what angle of it you take. Moreover, it has body and facial editing features that make you look slim, pretty, and flawless. You don’t need Photoshop or any other digital tool while using Snow.
The only downside is that Snow isn’t as all-around as other apps like Snapchat. That’s because it doesn’t have social media features. You can’t post content through the app or message anyone you know. But if you’re all about curating content for a better-looking feed, it’s a must-have.
- Has a big user base
- Integrates robust video editing tools
- Great for building a following and fan interaction
- Its reach is global
- Has privacy issues
- Focuses only on short videos (shorts)
- Competitors like Instagram are catching on and copying its features
TikTok has taken the world by storm, and it’s not very surprising. The app did popularize quick portrait videos that can go viral. Everyone wants to be famous worldwide nowadays, and TikTok makes it easy to get your 15 minutes of online fame. Go live on TikTok and you’ll agree that these are its best benefits.
Apart from that, TikTok is easy to use even for beginners. It has built-in video editing tools, so you don’t need to be an expert when posting on the app. With TikTok, you can post a video, hop on the latest viral trend, or start your own. As long as your content is creative enough, you can become an influencer and even earn money along the way.
Of course, TikTok isn’t the same as other apps like Snapchat that provide disappearing content. All your posts stay on your profile unless deleted. Nevertheless, it’s still a fun mainstream social media app to use.
- Gives better privacy than Snapchat
- Only needs your number or email for registration
- Has a shredder feature that’s similar to Snapchat’s disappearing content
- Includes stickers, filters, and more
- Less popular than other apps, so it has a smaller user base
- Not as many filters or effects as Snapchat
Last in this roundup of the best apps like Snapchat is Wickr Me. Sure, it’s not the most popular app choice out there. Nonetheless, it’s great at what it does that mimics Snapchat’s features. For example, the self-destruction of messages you can allow via the shredder feature.
Moreover, Wickr Me has filters, stickers, and effects for personalizing your messages. However, the options are few compared to Snapchat.
Another notable perk of using Wickr Me is its privacy protection. The app only asks for your phone number or email address to generate your account. How is this more private, you ask? The app doesn’t store any of your information (including your number or email address) on its servers. Thus, you can use it as you please without worrying about your data falling into the wrong hands.
As you now know, there are plenty of apps like Snapchat on your official mobile app stores. Some are geared toward content stylized with filters and effects, while others are more social media-centric. Regardless of the core feature you want, there’s an app that will work best for you. We hope you’ve found the best supplementary or alternative app like Snapchat from this handy list. Feel free to share with us which app you picked!