A Linksys Wireless Router WRT120N is a popular choice among users for its reliable connectivity and advanced features. However, there are times when you may encounter issues with your router and the best solution is to perform a reset. Resetting your Linksys router can help resolve network issues, improve performance, and restore it to its default settings.
In this article, we will guide you through the steps to reset your Linksys Wireless Router WRT120N. Whether you’re experiencing slow internet speeds, connection drops, or simply want to start fresh with your router configuration, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and learn how to reset your Linksys Wireless Router WRT120N efficiently.
Inside This Article
- Step 1: Locate the Reset Button
- Step 2: Prepare for the Reset
- Step 3: Perform the Reset
- Step 4: Set Up the Router Again
Step 1: Locate the Reset Button
Resetting your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N is a straightforward process that can help resolve various issues and restore the router to its default settings. The first step is to locate the reset button on the router.
The reset button is usually located on the back or bottom of the router, and it is often labeled “Reset” or “Restart.” It may be a small pinhole or a recessed button. Take a close look at the router and find the small button.
Once you have identified the reset button, it’s important to familiarize yourself with its functionality and purpose. The reset button is designed to return the router to its factory settings, erasing any customized configurations or settings you may have made.
Before proceeding with the reset process, it’s crucial to ensure that you have a backup of your router’s settings and configuration, as resetting will wipe out all customizations. This backup will allow you to restore your previous settings after the reset.
Now, let’s move on to the next step of resetting your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N.
Step 2: Prepare for the Reset
Before proceeding with the reset of your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N, it is important to make some preparations. Follow these steps to ensure a smooth and successful reset:
1. Locate the Reset Button: Every Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N has a reset button, typically located on the back or bottom of the device. It is usually labeled with the word “Reset” or represented by a small hole. Take a moment to find this button before proceeding.
2. Gather the Necessary Equipment: To reset your router, you will need a paperclip or a small, pointed object that can fit into the reset button. Make sure you have this item handy as you will need it during the reset process.
3. Power Off the Router: Before performing the reset, it is important to power off the Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N. Locate the power source and switch it off. This step ensures that the router powers down completely, providing a clean slate for the reset process.
4. Prepare for Connectivity Loss: During the reset process, your router will lose its connection to the internet. This means that any devices connected to the router will temporarily lose internet access. It is advisable to inform any users in your network about the potential interruption in connectivity.
5. Consider Backup and Restore: If you have important settings or configurations on your router, consider backing them up before proceeding with the reset. This will help you restore your personalized settings once the reset is complete, saving you time and effort in reconfiguring your network.
By following these steps and preparing for the reset, you ensure a seamless and successful reset of your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N. Now, let’s move on to the next step and delve into the reset process.
Step 3: Perform the Reset
Performing a reset on your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N is a straightforward process that will restore the router to its default settings. Resetting the router can be useful in cases where you are experiencing connectivity issues or have forgotten the router’s login credentials.
Before proceeding with the reset, ensure that you have a paperclip or a similar pointed object ready. This will be used to press and hold the reset button on the router.
To perform the reset, follow these steps:
- Locate the reset button on the back of the Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N. It is usually a small, recessed button that can be pressed using a paperclip.
- With the router powered on, press and hold the reset button using the paperclip for about 10-15 seconds.
- Release the reset button.
- Wait for the router to reboot. This process may take a few minutes.
- Once the router has finished rebooting, it will be restored to its factory default settings.
It’s important to note that performing a reset will erase any custom configurations you had set up on the router, including your Wi-Fi network name and password. After the reset, you will need to reconfigure the router to your desired settings.
If you are still experiencing issues with your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N after performing the reset, it may be a good idea to contact Linksys customer support for further assistance.
To set up the Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N again after resetting it, follow these steps:
Step 4: Set Up the Router Again
1. Connect the router to your computer. Use an Ethernet cable to connect one end to the Ethernet port on the back of the router, and the other end to the Ethernet port on your computer. This will establish a direct connection between the router and your computer.
2. Open a web browser. Launch your preferred web browser (such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge). Make sure you have a stable internet connection.
3. Access the router’s web-based setup page. In the address bar of your web browser, enter the default IP address for the Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N, which is typically “192.168.1.1”. Press Enter to proceed.
4. Enter the router’s login details. On the login page, you will be prompted to enter a username and password. If you have not changed these default credentials, the username is usually “admin”, and the password field can be left blank. Click on the Login or Sign In button to access the router’s settings.
5. Follow the setup wizard. Once logged in, you will be guided through a setup wizard. The wizard will prompt you to configure essential settings for your internet connection, including your ISP username and password. Provide the necessary information and proceed to the next steps. If you are unsure about any specific settings, you can consult your ISP or refer to the router’s user manual.
6. Secure your wireless network. During the setup process, you will have the option to set up a secure wireless network. It is highly recommended to enable WPA2 encryption and create a strong, unique password to prevent unauthorized access to your wireless network. Take note of the wireless network name (SSID) and password for future reference.
7. Save your settings and restart the router. Once you have completed the setup wizard and made all the necessary configurations, click on the Save or Apply button to save your settings. The router will automatically restart to apply the changes.
8. Connect your devices to the wireless network. After the router restarts, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable from your computer and connect to the wireless network using your devices (such as laptops, smartphones, or tablets). Locate your wireless network in the list of available networks, enter the password you set during the setup process, and click Connect.
That’s it! You have successfully set up the Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N again after resetting it. Enjoy a fast and secure wireless network connection for all your devices.
In conclusion, resetting a Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N can be a straightforward process that can help resolve various issues and restore your router to its default settings. Whether you forgot your password, experiencing connectivity issues, or simply want to start fresh, performing a reset can often provide the solution you need. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can confidently reset your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N and get it back up and running in no time.
Remember to proceed with caution and understand that resetting your router will erase all previous settings, so be prepared to set everything back up after the reset. If you still have questions or encounter any difficulties, it is always recommended to consult the official Linksys website or reach out to their customer support for further assistance. Now that you have the knowledge to reset your Linksys Wireless Router Wrt120N, you can troubleshoot and optimize your network with ease.
1. How do I reset my Linksys WRT120N wireless router?
To reset your Linksys WRT120N wireless router, locate the reset button on the back of the device. Using a paperclip or a pin, press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds. This will restore the router to its factory settings, including the default username and password. Please note that resetting the router will erase all previous configurations, so make sure to backup your settings before performing a reset.
2. What is the default username and password for the Linksys WRT120N router?
The default username for the Linksys WRT120N router is usually set to “admin”, and the default password is left blank. However, if you have previously changed the login credentials and no longer remember them, you will need to perform a reset to restore the default username and password.
3. How do I access the Linksys router’s setup page?
To access the setup page of your Linksys WRT120N router, you need to connect your computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. Open a web browser and enter the default IP address of the router, which is “192.168.1.1”, in the address bar. Press Enter, and you will be prompted to enter the username and password. After logging in, you can customize the router settings and configurations.
4. Why would I need to reset my Linksys WRT120N router?
There are several reasons why you might need to reset your Linksys WRT120N router. One common reason is if you have forgotten the login credentials and need to restore the default username and password. Another reason could be troubleshooting network issues, such as intermittent connectivity problems. Resetting the router can help resolve these issues by clearing any conflicting configurations or settings.
5. Are there any precautions I should take before resetting my Linksys WRT120N router?
Yes, there are a few precautions you should take before resetting your Linksys WRT120N router. First, make sure to backup your router’s current settings, as a reset will erase all customized configurations. This will allow you to easily restore your preferred settings after the reset. Additionally, be aware that resetting the router will disconnect all devices connected to it, so you may need to reconnect them manually afterward.