Reddit, which works like a news app, lets you jump into any topic and converse with other users online. It is useful for asking random questions, getting opinions, learning new things, or just entertaining yourself. However, being always in the know or involved in discussions about almost anything under the sun can be tiring or toxic at times. Also, you might not want to leave any trace of your information on the sub-reddits (Reddit’s online forums) anymore. If that is what you are feeling about Reddit right now, then it is no surprise that you want to know how to delete your Reddit account.
Leaving Reddit is fine because it makes managing your online life easier or lets you move on to other useful platforms. It may even give you more time for your priorities. So, we are here to help you close your Reddit account for good. Read on for our quick walkthroughs.
Inside This Article
- What Happens When You Delete Your Reddit Account?
- What You Should Do Before You Delete Your Reddit Account
- How to Delete a Reddit Account via the Mobile App
- What Are the Best Alternatives to Reddit?
What Happens When You Delete Your Reddit Account?
Before you learn how to delete your Reddit account on the app, know the consequences in advance. That way, you would not regret anything after the action. Here is a rundown of what happens when you delete your Reddit account on the app or website:
- You will not be able to access your old Reddit account anymore; deletion is permanent.
- The posts and comments of your deleted account are retained on the platform, although the username on those will display as “u/[deleted]”.
- The messages and chats you have sent stay too, but sender information will no longer be visible to the recipients.
- The Reddit Premium membership (if any) will not be invalid.
- You are allowed to make a new Reddit account and username afterward, even with the same credentials (e.g. e-mail).
What You Should Do Before You Delete Your Reddit Account
As mentioned, not all content and services associated with your Reddit account get removed when you delete your profile. Your interactions, such as posts and comments, are left visible on the platform. Also, your premium subscription remains active.
The good news is that you can remove those manually, which is important to do before we teach you how to delete a Reddit account on the app.
Erase Posts and Comments Made Via Your Reddit Account
Posts and comments will be on Reddit as long as Reddit is up. Those are even accessible through Reddit links or when someone searches for posts and comments on a specific topic. Although your username is concealed after account deletion for your security, the purpose is defeated if you have information or clues left about yourself on the text or media (e.g. photo) on the post. Thus, it is worth the effort to erase all posts and comments before you delete your Reddit account on the app.
Do the following:
- Log in to your Reddit Profile via the app.
- Tap your avatar on the app’s main interface.
- Press My Profile afterward.
- Once directed to your Reddit profile, go to either the Posts or Comments tab.
- Tap Delete Post for your chosen posts and comments or each of them if you want to clear them all.
Unsubscribe to Reddit Premium
If you have an active Reddit Premium plan and want to stop it, unsubscribe before you follow our main guide on how to delete your Reddit account on the app. That way, you do not get yourself in trouble with sudden payments when you thought you have already deleted everything associated with your Reddit account. Reddit Premium is a plan that renews automatically, in case you forgot or do not know.
How you unsubscribe to Reddit Premium depends on how you got it. So, we share with you the various ways you can discontinue your Reddit Premium membership below:
Through Reddit Premium Section (If You Paid for Premium via a Card or PayPal)
- Head to Reddit.com or your Reddit app.
- Log in to your Reddit profile.
- Press your avatar on the page or app.
- Search for and press User Settings or Settings.
- Check out the Reddit Premium option to go to the subscription page.
- Select the option to cancel your plan from there.
- Follow what the page tells you to do to finalize the cancelation.
Via Apple App Store
- Access the App Store from your iPhone or iPad.
- Press your avatar on the app to see your profile menu.
- Press Subscriptions from there.
- Enter your Apple ID if needed.
- Cancel Reddit Premium from the displayed active subscriptions.
Via Google Play Store
- Access Google Play Store from your phone or tablet PC’s app dashboard.
- If you are signed in, click your avatar.
- On the profile menu that you can now view, select “Payments and subscriptions”.
- Press Subscriptions afterward.
- Cancel Reddit Premium once you see it among the active plans shown.
How to Delete a Reddit Account via the Mobile App
Now that you might be more certain you want to push through with deletion, we will now tackle how to delete a Reddit account on the official app. Note that it is also possible to do so from a web or mobile browser but if you have the app installed, it is more convenient to delete directly from there. The steps are easy on Android and quick to do on iOS. Here are both processes in detail:
Reddit is not like Facebook, Twitter, or your other social media apps where deactivation is different from deletion. On Reddit, when you deactivate your account, it means you erase it permanently from the platform.
Delete Reddit Account on Android
- Access the Reddit app from your smartphone’s main dashboard.
- If you are not signed in yet to Reddit, log in via your credentials.
- Once on the app’s main interface, hit your avatar.
- From the profile menu, press Settings.
- Navigate down the menu to access Help Center.
- From the Reddit Support site you are now on, input Deactivate on the search field.
- From the support article results, press “How do I deactivate my account?”
- Swipe up on the page to see the “On reddit.com” tutorial section.
- Press the clickable word “Account Settings” from the instructions shown.
- Once you are directed to User Settings, press Deactivate Account.
- On the Feed Settings pop-up prompt, you may indicate why you are deleting the account.
- Input your log-in credentials in their respective fields.
- Tick the box labeled “I understand that deactivated accounts are not recoverable”.
- Once the Deactivate button is clickable, press it.
Delete Reddit Account on iOS
- Boot up the Reddit app on your iPhone.
- Log in to your profile afterward.
- Press your avatar on the app’s main page.
- Swipe up the profile menu and press Settings.
- Search for the Support section.
- Under it, hit Deactivate Account.
And you’re done! Deleting your Reddit account on the app is hassle-free, especially with some guidance.
What Are the Best Alternatives to Reddit?
If you decided to delete your Reddit account on the app because you want to jump into a new platform, we also got you covered. Here, we will highlight a few Reddit alternative websites and apps you can try once your Reddit account is deleted.
Quora focuses more on Q&As compared to Reddit. But like the latter platform, it lets you choose the topics or questions you want to keep up with. When you ask a question via the Quora website or app, your fellow users can answer it. And if you are lucky, an expert on the topic might see your query and provide you with the best answer.
If you planned to delete your Reddit account because you want to broaden your knowledge more than randomly find entertaining things, Quora is the right alternative.
Hive is not available as an app, unlike Reddit and Quora. Nonetheless, it is as well-loved as the two because of the ease of use and aesthetics inspired by Reddit.
In fact, it resembles Reddit down to its interaction features – upvotes, downvotes, and comments. You will not get lost on Hive if you switch to it after deleting your Reddit account.
Mix, formerly StumbleUpon, is like Reddit but with Instagram looks. Despite the aesthetic, it functions as effectively as the Reddit app when you need all your online interests served on one plate.
The platform is rich in content, even those in GIF and video format. In addition, it has content filters for your specific needs. If you are a conversation starter, you will appreciate that the app supports a profile for organizing your topics or media neatly too.
If you need more alternative or supplementary apps, see our list of the best Reddit apps now.
Knowing how to delete your Reddit account on the app lets you quickly free yourself from the busy sub-reddits. It is the best course of action you can take if Reddit is taking up too much of your online time or becoming difficult to manage. It is also a way to remove your digital footprints on the platform if you want to. Whatever your reason is for wanting to learn how to delete your Reddit account, the process will now feel easier to do through this guide.
Do you have fellow Reddit users who need this walkthrough too? If yes, feel free to share this article with them!