Snapchat is probably the first social media platform that introduced the 24-hour lifeline to every post. It’s a feature that made it so appealing to many as posts disappear in digital history altogether. For a while, this was exploited by many by taking screenshots of posts on Snapchat until the app added a feature to notify people when someone took a screenshot on the platform. That is right, Snapchat will notify the other person when you screen record or take a screenshot of their photos, videos, and your chats with them. So in case you are late in the news, that happy crush of yours knows you’ve been keeping their snaps. To save you from further embarrassment, we are here to help you know how to screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing.
Online cheat sheets would dictate a couple of measures to block Snapchat from notifying someone that you took a screenshot. To make this happen, we are outlining some ways to help you out! Some may require a little workaround while others would need more native ways.
Related: How to Make a Private Story on Snapchat (A Complete Guide)
Inside This Article
- Screenshot Notification on Snapchat
- 7 Ways To Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing
- Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing [Android]
- Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing [iPhone/iPad]
- Use a Different Mobile Device
- Screenshot Using Screen Mirroring
- Screenshot Using Google Assistant
- Screen Capture Using QuickTime
- Use Third-Party Apps to Screen Record
- Final Thoughts
Screenshot Notification on Snapchat
Privacy and internet piracy are the main reasons why developers are now putting screenshot notifications on apps. There are many reasons why someone would want to take a screenshot of a post on social media, especially Snapchat and this could violate someone’s privacy. However, this feature was met with mixed reactions from users. Some say it’s a step towards making the internet safe and accountable; others aren’t as welcoming claiming it’s archaic.
Another argument on this matter is whether screenshots or the act of screen-capturing is illegal. It’s a two-pronged matter if you ask us. Taking a screenshot of anything or anyone is not illegal as it is part of the freedom when using the internet. However, how you use the photo you screen-capture might be illegal. Just imagine taking a screenshot of copyrighted material and mass-producing it — printed or digital — without consent. That is a no-brainer.
Hence, before we proceed with ways how to screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing, Cellular News wants to inform our readers we do not openly, nor is it in our interest, to advertise piracy or ways to violate someone’s privacy.
7 Ways to Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing
If you see a funny “snap” on Snapchat and you want to use that as a pun, the best way to make it happen is by screen-capturing that snap. However, you want to be discrete. How do you do it? Below are ways how to screenshot on Snapchat without notification.
1. Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing [Android]
Taking screenshots on Android follows a different procedure compared to iPhone/iPad users. Here’s how you can take a screenshot from your Android phone when using Snapchat:
- Open Snapchat and load the snap post you want to screen-capture or record.
- Open the control center by swiping down from the top of the screen.
- Tap on Airplane Mode.
- Next, simultaneously press the lock and volume buttons to initiate a screenshot.
- Once done, tap on your avatar on the left-hand corner of the screen to open your profile page.
- Tap on the gear icon on the right-hand corner of the screen to open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Log Out. Tap Yes then Log Out to confirm the action.
From here you can log back into Snapchat and see that no notification has been sent indicating a screenshot was taken.
2. Screenshot on Snapchat Without Them Knowing [iPhone/iPad]
In May 2021, iPhone users can no longer discretely take screenshots from their devices without the other person knowing of the act. This begs the question of how to screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing on iPhone or iPad. Below is a detailed guide on how to screen the Snapchat notification feature:
- Swipe down from the right side of the screen on your iPhone/iPad to open the control center.
- Tap the Wi-Fi icon to turn off the connection.
- Tap Airplane Mode.
- Next, open Snapchat and load the snap you want to capture.
- Simultaneously press the lock and volume buttons to initiate a screenshot.
- Once done, exit Snapchat.
- Next, we need to uninstall Snapchat from your Apple device. Long press the Snapchat icon on your home screen to open the main app options.
- Next tap on Remove App, then select Delete App when prompted.
- Confirm the action by tapping on Delete.
Once the app has been deleted successfully, you can proceed to install it again by downloading Snapchat from the App Store. This will ensure no notifications will be sent to the author of the snap you captured.
3. Use Another Phone to Take a Photo of Snaps
Here’s a rather conventional and traditional way to take a screenshot — using a different mobile device to take a photo of the snap sent to you or stories posted on Snapchat. This is perhaps the safest way to avoid the app from sending a notification to the other person that you have screen-captured the snap. Just remember to make sure you hold your other phone steadily so as to capture the snap properly.
4. Screenshot Using Screen Mirroring
A screen mirror is an effective feature to cast your phone’s screen into a bigger one (usually a smart TV or your PC/Mac). However, did you know this can also be an effective tool to take a screenshot on Snapchat without notification? Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your phone to your Windows or Mac PC via cable or Wi-Fi.
- For iPhone or iPad, simply engage the Screen Mirror feature from the control center.
- Once the connection is made, open Snapchat.
- Open the thread where you want to capture a snap.
- If you are using a Mac, press Shift + Command + #3 keys to initiate a screen capture.
- For Windows PC, press the Print Screen key.
You can try this item on your own if you have two mobile phones. You’d be surprised to know this one works 100% without Snapchat sending a notification to the sender of the snap a screenshot was taken.
5. Screenshot Using Google Assistant
There is a way to screenshot on Snapchat without notification sent to the other person by using Google Assistant. This is quite effective for those who are using an Android phone. Here’s how to use Google Assistant to screen capture a snap:
- Open Snapchat and locate a thread from which the snap was sent.
- Long-press the home button or say “OK, Google” to trigger Google Assistant.
- Inform Google to take a screenshot of the active screen by either voice command or typing it in.
In case you are wondering, Snapchat will not send a notification to the sender that a screenshot was taken.
6. Screen Capture Using QuickTime
The Apple ecosystem is quite cohesive and allows any Apple device to be accessed by another easily. Such is the case for an iPhone, a Mac, and an app called QuickTime Player. These three can be used to screen capture a snap without Snapchat letting the sender know. Here’s the guide:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac via cable.
- Open the QuickTime Player app on your Mac.
- Click File then select New Movie Recording.
- Once the app engages, change the camera view option and choose the name of your iPhone.
The screen on your Mac will mirror the screen of your iPhone. The goal is to screen capture without the other person knowing so do not click on the record button. Navigate through Snapchat and locate the snap you want to capture. Then, on your Mac, press Shift + Command + #3 keys to screen capture from your Mac and not from your iPhone.
If you click on the record button on the QuickTime Player, the other person would be notified of a screen recording.
7. Use Third-Party Apps to Screen Record
It has become trickier for third-party apps to deliver a result where a snap sender wouldn’t be notified that the receiver took a screenshot of the snap on his/her mobile device. While there are many third-party apps out there promising this, not all of them actually work. There are only a couple of apps that we can suggest for you to download and start discretely screen capturing snaps. These apps have been tested by us here on Cellular News and, as of this writing, have proven to work 100%.
AZ Screen Recorder
AZ Screen Recorder is a free app that allows users to record an active screen or live stream an active screen on social media. This app is one of the preferred mobile apps by gamers who wish to livestream their screen when playing games like Mobile Legends. However, it is also perfect for when you want to screenshot on Snapchat without notifications.
Download AZ Screen Recorder for Android.
Super Screen Recorder
Another app that we guarantee offers 100% discrete screen capturing snaps on Snapchat is Super Screen Recorder. It works the same as AZ Screen Recorder; it’s easy to use and pretty straightforward in terms of its features.
Furthermore, it has a pro version that offers extra features but the free version guarantees screenshots on Snapchat without notifications.
We can’t stress enough that Cellular News does not promote privacy violations or internet piracy. There are safer and more healthy reasons why we created this cheat sheet on how to screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing. It is in our belief our readers would use these methods for those very reasons.
Nonetheless, we hope this page has proven helpful to you for you to have a good prank time with your friends who are using Snapchat, too!