The present time is undeniably the golden era of the internet. There are a lot of existing social media apps that people of different ages enjoy. These media channels offer many purposes depending on what kind of engagement users would love. You already know how to use Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. These apps have such a universal appeal that cater to everybody’s needs and entertainment views. Recently, an app called TikTok is quickly becoming the social media of the moment.
What is TikTok?
Tiktok is a video-sharing platform which originated in China. It made its global debut in 2017 after acquiring Musical.ly, an equivalent short-form video streaming app. Nowadays, the app is famous among young users where they can express themselves through dance and funny videos.
The Tiktok app has been downloaded over 1.5 billion times globally. With its emerging popularity, it is understandable how much people are addicted to it. Tiktok started as a lip-syncing video app. Now, you can create and download your own videos. You can edit them and put filters, stickers, and other creative effects. Tiktok app is a home of influencers, artists, content creators, and viral memes. Brands and businesses also started creating their Tiktok profiles to attract users. Tiktok app lets you interact, engage, and discover unique media content and eventually create your own.
If you can’t wait to jump into the crazy world of Tiktok, here’s the article for you.
How To Set Up an Account on TikTok App?
To create an account on TikTok, install the app on your mobile’s purchasing store. TikTok is available on both Android and iOS. It might also be available for other mobile operating systems besides Android & iOS.
- After the download, choose from the personalized video recommendations. Your choices may be about: comedy, entertainment, talent, animals, beauty & style, sports, food, etc.
- Sign up using your email, Facebook, or Google. Choose your birthdate as it is a required field in making an account. TikTok requires its users to be at least 12 years old.
- Type the verification sent on your mobile number to finish making an account.
- Lastly, Create your username. You will be directed to your TikTok profile after.
- On your profile, you can start customizing your major information. Add a profile picture or video, display name, and username by tapping the “Edit profile”.
How Does TikTok Work?
Posting TikTok Video
As we already discussed, recording and sharing videos is the main purpose of the TikTok App. Taking a video is easy. But making content that will make you famous is the hard part. To gain more followers on TikTok, you need to be consistent with your posting habit. Ideally, you should post at least one video per day. Using social media management tools can help you maintain a good TikTok feed.
Also, you have to post videos that have context and are original. Sure, you have to follow a trend. But never forget to encrypt it with your personality. To kick start your journey to being a TikTok celebrity, here how to make your first ever TikTok video.
How to make a TikTok video?
- To create your first own TikTok post, click the plus sign found at the bottom of your screen. To shoot a video, grant access to your phone’s camera and microphone.
- Press and hold the red circle to start recording a video. The recording will stop when you take off your finger or it hits the 15-second mark.
There are different icons on the right side which will help make your video. You can flip the camera, adjust the speed of the video, or use the beauty mode. There are also the filters to choose from and the timer.
You can also upload your pre-taken videos saved on your phone and post in on your TikTok. Simply click “Upload” and choose the content you want to upload. You have the option to trim videos, put effect and filters, and add texts on it.
- Post your video once you’re done editing them. Adding descriptions may include hashtags and tagging friends. You can also limit the people who can view your video from public, friends, or private. At the bottom of the screen, you can share your video to your other social media accounts. Click “Post” to upload.
There is another way to post a video to TikTok. Alternatively, you can click “Sounds” at the top of your screen, then choose a song from the trending list. There are different genres to choose from. Once the song starts playing, press and hold the red circle, and you record yourself dancing or lip syncing to it.
How to delete a TikTok video?
- Head to your homepage and click on the video you want to delete. Click the three-dotted icon at the right of the screen. When the options appear, swipe left until you see the delete button.
- TikTok will ask to confirm if you want to delete the video permanently. The deleted video will disappear quickly upon confirmation. The screen will redirect you to your other existing videos.
Not everyone has access to go live on TikTok. The requirement is, the users should first have at least 1000 followers.
- For those who have a thousand followers and more, open and log in to your TikTok account.
- Click on the plus button at the bottom of your screen. Then click on the “Go Live” button.
- Add a description for your Live Video so your followers and mutuals know what you’re on about.
- Refrain from adding banned words to your description such as: bff, duet, follow, etc.
TikTok App Filters
- First, record or upload a video on your Tiktok.
- Tap on “effects”. There are several effects to choose from located at the bottom of your screen. There are visual filters, face effects, transitions, and split-screen effects. To check other options, just scroll through the menu.
- Tap on the effect you want to add then apply it in your video. Adjust on what video portion you want the effect to appear on. Move the ends of the pink overlay to your video timeline.
If you choose to add effects from the Visual tab, tap and hold on to the effect to apply it to the video. If you want to apply the effect to a portion only, release the button when that part of the timeline has changed color. But if you want to add the effect on the entire video, keep holding until the video has completely changed color.
- Tap the play button to see a preview of the video effect. Tap “Save” at the top right corner of the screen. Once done, you can now post your TikTok video on your profile.
Among the newest trends in TikTok are the different dance challenges that users can copy and video themselves into. To find a TikTok challenge, go to the Search bar and type the hashtag or song that you want to do. Choose from the existing videos that will appear and study the movements multiple times until you get to memorize them. To join these challenges, use the same audio clips that are used on existing videos.
You can also start your TikTok challenge. The sound you will use could be your original audio or songs from artists, TV shows, and video clips. Choreograph your TikTok movement. You have full control on what concept or kind of content you want to produce. After you have successfully taken a video of your challenge, publish it on your TikTok profile. On the description, don’t forget to include your creative Tiktok challenge hashtag.
Like most types of social media apps, TikTok also has messaging as one of its most important features. However, you can not message every users of the platform. There are few restrictions to avoid spamming and harassment. Here’s how to innitiate conversation on TikTok.
- To start messaging someone on TikTok, go to their profile and click the “Message” button. Make sure that you are already a follower of the person you want to message.
- The messages will remain unsent if the person does not follow you back.
- When you follow each other, go to the person’s profile and click “Message. This will redirect you to the Direct Messages page. You can start chatting and even add stickers and emojis to your messages.
Sadly, there’s no group chat features on TikTok yet. But a trend in 2019 shows what could a great functionality where users drops videos as reaction to a preceding post. This creates a sort of “Thread” of video messages. Here’s a sample video TikTok user @thestickybandits.
Share, Comment, and Follow
- Click the search button at the bottom of your screen to search your friends’ username and follow them. You can also discover new people by checking out the hashtags. Or follow those that are already on your feed. Just swipe left and it will redirect you to the user’s profile page. Look for their other videos by scrolling underneath.
- To comment on a TikTok video, click the three-dotted icon on the right side of the screen. Click “@” to tag your mutuals. You can add emojis by tapping the face button.
- If you want to share the TikTok video, click the “save” button. Share it to your other social media accounts like Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and more. There are also other options like reporting or saving the video on your device. You can also share it as a GIF, or add it to your Favorites.
How To Download TikTok Videos?
- Downloading TikTok videos means saving them on your device. First, go to the video you want to save.
- Tap the “Share” button.
- Click “Save Video” to start downloading the TikTok video. Wait until it finished the download process. After this, you can locate the video on your camera roll.
TikTok App Privacy Settings and Account Management
How to block TikTok users from the app?
- Go to the user’s profile you want to block.
- Click on the ellipsis button found at the upper right of the screen.
- Select “Block” and then tap to confirm.
How to make your TikTok account private?
- On your profile page, tap the ellipsis icon at the upper right part of the screen. Go to Privacy and Safety.
- Enable “Private Account”.
How to delete a TikTok account?
- Go to your profile and click the ellipsis button at the top right of your screen.
- Go to “Privacy and Settings”, then “Manage my Account”.
- At the bottom part, click “Delete account”. Your account will be permanently deleted after 30 days.
With its growth and the influence it brings to people, the TikTok App is indeed rewriting the world of social media. The impact is most evident from Millennial to Generation Z. It doesn’t only kill one’s boredom but lets you be creative in so many different ways. The way it holds our attention and subconsciously invites us to explore the whole experience is just amazing.
After learning all the basic features and dynamics of the TikTok app, you are now capable of handling your account. Create videos of your interest, search your mutual and discover new friends. As much as you enjoy participating in the hype, remember to not lose your identity. Keep your personality and use the TikTok App to improve your interests and your talent. Most importantly, let it be the way to enjoy yourself confidently.