Mobile game streaming has become popular among pro and novice gamers around the world. YouTube and Twitch are two of the most used streaming platforms, but there are also good alternatives. One example is AfreecaTV, an online broadcasting service that specializes in game streaming.
If you’re looking for another streaming platform to upload your content to, this might be perfect for you. Read more about AfreecaTV below.
What is AfreecaTV?
AfreecaTV is short for “Any FREE broadCasting.” It is a P2P-based streaming service based in South Korea. It initially started as a website that re-transmits TV channels, but now offers other broadcasting functions as well. Users can upload and view videos, live chat with other users, and participate in discussion boards.
Now, AfreecaTV hosts various types of content from users all over the world. This includes TV broadcasts, artist performances, vlogs, taxi driver monitoring, and live video game broadcasts.
Due to its popularity among gamers, it has become a popular platform for live streaming mobile games. Afreeca is currently a sponsor of a professional esports team in League of Legends. They are also a sponsor for Starcraft tournaments.
Aside from the abovementioned esports, AfreecaTV also re-transmits other esports such as Overwatch, Sudden Attack, and Tekken.
How to Stream on Afreeca TV
If you’re a gaming enthusiast, AfreecaTV is a great platform for streaming your games. From signing up for an account to broadcasting your very first live stream video, just follow the steps below.
Create and verify your AfreecaTV account
- Go to the official AfreecaTV website: http://afreecatv.com
- On the top right side of the website, click the ‘Sign Up’ option.
- Fill in the necessary details to create your account. You can also choose to sign up using your Google, Twitter, or Facebook accounts. Just log in using your username and password for those accounts.
- After successfully signing up, you will be sent a verification link via email. Click the link to verify your account. You will then be redirected to the log-in page.
For Korean Citizens
- Go to the website and click the ‘Sign Up’ option at the top right page of the site.
- At the Sign Up page, scroll down to the bottom part.
- Look for the option stating “If you are a Korean citizen, click here.” Click the link so you will be redirected to the Korean sign-up page.
- Click the ‘Agree’ button to agree to all the terms and conditions.
- Fill in the necessary details to create your account.
- You will also be asked to verify your account once you have successfully signed up.
How to Stream on AfreecaTV Using a Mobile Device
You can stream using any iOS or Android device. Make sure that your connection is in 3G/4G wireless data or Wi-Fi.
- Download the AfreecaTV mobile app. You can find this in the Play Store or App Store.
- Tap the button on the top right side of the app to log in.
- Once you’re logged in, open the menu bar on the left side.
- Tap the ‘Go Live’ button.
- To stream your game from your mobile device, select ‘Stream with Live Cam.’
- Create a title for your live stream video by editing the title field. Tap the blue arrow button when ready.
- Make sure to grant the app permission to record your screen.
- Once you’re ready, tap the ‘Start Stream’ button to start live streaming.
- To stop streaming, tap the settings icon and press ‘End Stream.’
One final tip, if you want to communicate to your subscribers with clarity, you’ll need a good condenser microphone. Check out the HyperX Quadcast today and start talking to your followers with quality. If you need more suggestions, we have an article talking about the best microphone to use when streaming mobile games.
Making Money on AfreecaTV
AfreecaTV streamers have a unique way of profit-making through this website. Called the ‘star balloon,’ this digital currency can be given from viewers to streamers as a gift. Viewers can purchase the stars with real money, then send these to the streamers while broadcasting video. The streamers can then exchange these for real cash.
The catch is that AfreecaTV takes a portion of these earnings, usually about 30% to 40%. Plus, there aren’t a lot of streamers that earn stars. As a result, most streamers look for other ways to earn a profit.
Another way is through sponsored broadcasts. Streamers get tapped by brands and companies to feature them in one of their videos and get paid. However, AfreecaTV also takes its cut out of these revenues. This is one of the reasons why more and more streamers are ditching this platform and going to YouTube and Twitch instead.
AfreecaTV vs. Other Streaming Platforms
There’s no doubt that AfreecaTV is popular in South Korea. Local streamers upload various types of content there, from video game streaming to mukbang videos and daily vlogs. Many international users also use AfreecaTV for their videos.
As an emerging streaming platform, AfreecaTV relies heavily on streamers to gain popularity. Aside from South Koreans, they also welcome content creators from all over the globe. But how does it fare among its competitors like YouTube and Twitch?
AfreecaTV was launched only three months after YouTube was founded. However, the latter has become more successful despite both being launched at the same time. This is because YouTube was easier to use than other streaming sites. While other streaming sites required flash players for broadcasting and viewing videos, YouTube didn’t. Their videos were embedded online which made it easier for content creators and viewers.
Another difference between these sites is profit-sharing. AfreecaTV charges their streamers if they want to air sponsored broadcasts. On the other hand, YouTube doesn’t have a policy in splitting revenues with content creators.
Like Twitch, AfreecaTV also specializes in streaming video games. However, AfreecaTV’s lack of international competitiveness is causing a decline in its users. YouTube and Twitch tend to attract more global users; more viewers make them more enticing to streamers.
Pros and Cons of AfreecaTV
If you’re looking to stream on Afreeca TV, you might want to check out the pros and cons. Of course, there will be positives and negatives that you have to weigh before starting. Here are some pros and cons of streaming mobile games via Afreeca TV.
Pros and Cons of Afreeca TV
- Gives preference to content produced by local streamers
- Specializes in esports and video game streaming
- Re-transmits local TV channels
- Lacks international competitiveness
- Charges streamers for sponsored broadcasts
- Weak platform advantage
Final Thoughts on Streaming With Afreeca TV
Afreeca TV is a platform that will let you broadcast your stream and capture a whole new market. If you’re looking for a guide on how to stream on Mixer we have a guide just for you. If you want to learn how to stream on Smashcast, we also have an article just for you.