People use TikTok primarily because they enjoy creating and discovering various content on it. Some users replicate synchronized dancing, try micro-vlogging, promote their brand, and do other interesting things on the platform. However, making and consuming videos on TikTok can be taxing at times. Consequently, some users decide to leave the platform temporarily or for good. If you are in the same boat as them, do you know how to delete your TikTok account?
You are probably well-versed on how to use TikTok but you also have to strike a balance by knowing how to get out of it. The latter comes in handy when you feel that the platform is already too much for you — there might be negativity within the TikTok community that bothers you or you simply want to unplug from the digital world. Hence, in this article, we will teach you how to delete your TikTok account should the need arise.
Inside This Article
Before Deleting Your TikTok Account
Deleting your account will result in losing the information you willingly shared on TikTok. We are talking about the videos you made with so much effort and shared on the platform. Those videos have probably earned you TikTok followers or regular interactions, which boosts your popularity on the platform.
Maybe losing the likes and shares doesn’t matter that much to you, but think about the value of the videos first. Also, we suggest you download all the videos you made before you permanently close your TikTok account. To do so, access your profile’s settings interface. Navigate from “Privacy” to “Personalize and Data”, then pick “Download TikTok Data” among the options.
Ready to Delete Your TikTok Account? Here’s How
If you’re done backing up your data, let’s now deal with your question — “how to erase or delete my TikTok account?” The following sections showing how to delete a TikTok account should apply to you regardless if you are on iOS or Android. That is because TikTok has a universal mobile interface.
Here’s a quick walkthrough on how to delete your account:
1. Open your TikTok app.
2. At bottom of the screen, tap “Me” to open your profile page.
3. On the top-right corner, tap the three vertical lines to open the Menu page.
4. Tap the “Manage account” option.
5. Next, tap “Delete account”, then “Continue”.
From here, simply follow the on-screen prompts. TikTok will give you opportunities to mull over the decision to delete your account. It will ask you at least two times about your action before the deletion is done.
- Once the deletion is complete, your profile page will appear as “Deactivated” to other TikTok users. Videos you posted using the deleted account will not be seen anymore on TikTok.
- A deleted TikTok account can be retrieved as long as 30 days have not yet passed since the deletion. After 30 days, your user metadata will cease to exist and can no longer be recovered.
Also read: 15 Apps Like TikTok to Use for Video Sharing in 2021
Delete a TikTok Account Without Phone Number
If you created an account with TikTok using a phone number, deleting your profile is easy. But what if you used an email address to make an account? Here’s a walkthrough on how to leave the platform permanently if you did not use your phone number during the sign-up process.
1. Open your TikTok app, then tap the “Me” icon.
2. Press the three-line icon on the display’s top-right corner to see the Menu page.
3. Select “Manage account” from the options.
4. Tap “Delete Account” on the next page.
5. Verify the action by tapping “Continue” on the app’s prompt.
6. When asked to log in, do that using the account you associated with TikTok upon signing up.
*This can be your account from Facebook, Google, or Twitter. Choose whichever applies.
7. Once login is done, tap “Next” to confirm the deletion of your TikTok account.
How To Delete a Banned TikTok Account
There is no way for you to immediately delete your TikTok account if it has been banned or suspended. That is because TikTok has restricted your access to your account due to possible community guidelines violations. So, how do you go about deleting a TikTok account in this case? Well, you need to recover the account first.
Essentially, you need to appeal to TikTok to restore your account and, by extension, your access to it for deletion to be possible. Here’s how:
1. You will have to create another account, regardless if you are going to use it or not.
2. Open your TikTok app and hit “Sign Up”.
3. From here, you need to use the same information you used on your banned account.
*Similar information needed includes your birthday, phone number, and/or email address.
4. Wait for TikTok to prompt that you already have an account linked to the information you provided.
5. Follow the on-screen prompts until TikTok lets you into your account.
*Once in, however, TikTok will notify you the account has been suspended or banned and will give you the option to appeal.
6. Appeal and state the reason why your account should be reactivated.
7. Wait for TikTok to assess your case.
Once TikTok restores access to your account, you can then follow the steps we outlined above on how to delete your TikTok account.
Having Second Thoughts? Try These
For some TikTok users, it is difficult to let go of the platform. If you also haven’t finalized your decision yet, there is no surprise to that. TikTok offers many ways to enjoy social interactions. It is not just about watching various educational, quirky, prank, or random video content for entertainment. It is one method to reach out beyond international borders and be up-to-date with what’s happening globally. Anyone fond of going live on TikTok knows that being “connected” to the world is among the greatest perks of the platform.
So, if you are not 100 percent sure yet about quitting TikTok, know that there are workarounds to account deletion. One of those alternative solutions is the mute function. TikTok allows you to “mute” any user who might be annoying or harassing you on the platform. If muting is not enough, you might like this next option better — permanent blocking. Blocking will result in a user’s inability to view and interact with your content and account. Lastly, you can report an abusive account for violations of the community guidelines. All these options are designed to ensure users like you will have a good experience on TikTok.
Whatever your decision is, be it the deletion of your account or actions regarding other accounts, we hope you’ve found useful tips here. If you did, feel free to share this article with your TikTok friends who might need this, too!